I'VE GOT WORMS!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lilchick, Oct 17, 2008.

1. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Well not me but my chickens...
    I was sitting on porch of chicken cabin this a.m. holding a couple pet roos. I looked down at fresh poo and saw it moving! Took a stick an messed in it and there were tiny white thread like worms!
    Must be round worms. Time to get the wazine out...... I do not worm monthly, probably should.
    How often do others on here worm their chickens?

2. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I worm when I see them. I think maybe 3 times in about 7 years. Either I'm doing something right or way wrong. My chickens seem very healthy and happy.

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I have actually been thinking of worming after they get back to normal from moult, but through the years, I have never needed to give them worm medication.
    Like I said, once I have an extra buck or twenty, I'll be treating the girls.

Sorry to hear "YOU" have worms- [​IMG]

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Gross, I know!!! I sure hope I don't come back as a roundworm.

You shouldn't need to worm monthly. Annual may do the trick (depending upon lots of factors), with perhaps pumpkin seeds in other months......

JJ

5. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Do we have to be concerned when eating the eggs if the chickens have worms...Aughhhhhhhhh It's gross even thinking about it.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ....[​IMG]..what is the best thing to use for a wormer?...i want to give mine some..just in case...because they havent been wormed yet. thanks, Wendy

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    If you do a search on this site under worming or worms or wormer there will be lots of posts with various products mentioned so that you can see which you prefer. I've used Ivomec Eprinex - lots of info about that will come up as well..
    JJ

8. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    there are some "natural" worming methods......which I don't use necessarily-but on the other hand if you wormed monthly you could almost never eat the eggs--. I have only heard of someone cracking an egg once and finding a worm, but that would be all it would take for me![​IMG]

9. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I only worm when I see them, and then I don't eat the eggs for the week after that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by