I've had enough! PICS!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GloriaH, Jan 28, 2008.

1. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    I have a Genisis 1588 that I use to incubate. I love it! I then hatch in my Hova Bator. I even bought a new wafer for it a few days back. I put my eggs in yesterday after having steady temps for 2 days. I woke up to temps of 104 this morning. I'll get it cooled down and candle tonight to see movement. I'm done with it. I'm ordering another Genesis today. What do you think my chances are with this batch.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] :thun [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

How is your house heated, Gloria? Does it get much cooler at night than during the day where the Hova is located? I had a similar thing with a wafer thermo and the problem, I believe, was that the metal lever outside in the room transfers cold to the wafer, making it stay on longer than it should, thereby raising temps too high. I put something over the lever to cover it and that solved my problem.
    Your eggs may be okay; depends on how long that temp was up there.

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:I had the same thing happen with my Hovabator and I put a styrofoam cup over the handle with cotton balls around it and it kept the temp much better afterward!

4. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Cynthia is right the environment in your house is just as important as the environment in the bator. I hatch in a dark room with only one small window that I keep covered with a heavy blanket. The door is always closed and I keep the house at 70 while I am Incubating. Once I moved the incubator into a small drafty room with several windows because I was having work done on the house. The temp in the room fluctuated sooooo much. That hatch was terrible with temperatures all over the place, sometimes as low as 95 and sometimes as high as 105. I got 2 chicks out of 20 eggs. Good Luck, I think you should be OK and get some chickies!

Keep us Posted.

5. GloriaH

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    I have in in our bathroom where I always keep it. It is usally the warmest room in the house. The chicks were moving pretty good last night so I'll check again tonight. I have a full incubator now so I will have more on the way, I just hate to loose any. I'll get it readjusted today and cover it with a towel tonight.

6. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    FANTASTIC!

Good Luck, I know you will get some. I just have a feeling.

Keep us posted.

7. GloriaH

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    PIPS...3 PIPS! [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sometimes they surprise you, don't they? Terrific!

9. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    that's great gloria,

Keep us posted and remember to get pics.

10. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    What is happening this morning?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by