Ive had it happen before, and now Im ultra nervous

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wbruder17, Mar 22, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I hatched a chick from a green egg. Then went to the store and bought another EE chick to be its buddy. They look absolutely nothing alike. My chick looks just like an Ameraucana. Its butt feathers are actually looking almost rumpless, which would be cool.
    The other chickie is much smaller, has longer tail feathers and does not have the cheek fluff.

Basically, I don't care what breed the other chick is, im just worried that my hatched chickie is a roo.

Other than crowing, is there really any way to tell a roo from a hatched egg? They are about 2 months old and were just introduced to my flock. It has been going very well, to add on....but I know its been asked a million times, but its killing me, as I really like this chicks personality and coloring.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Some chicks are a lot easier than others. There are a lot of things that might indicate male/female by two months but sometimes it is not real easy to be sure. Then sometimes it is real easy. It just depends on the individual.

If you could possibly post some photos, a good head shot and a full body shot, maybe somebody on here could make some pretty educated guesses. The general clues are comb and wattle development, configuration and posture, thickness of legs, and feather development, particularly saddle and hackle feathers.

How to post pictures/avatar
    http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26838

3. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have a hard time posting pics, but perhaps a good description? First tho, I love Ameraucanas for their large and stocky head/ neck area. She is a perfect specimen of the breed so far, whether pullet or roo. The other chick looks NOTHING like an EE/ Ameraucana except for her coloring. Not a big head, no cheek feathers, yellowish legs.

1. She is black with some tan fringing.
    2. She hardly has tail feathers. It looks like the side feathers are growing in a bit, but the middle feathers are short, making her look almost rumpless.
    3. She has a large round head with the typical looking neck feathers. Nice cheek feathers and big doe eyes.
    4. I heard that roos rump (saddle?) Feathers will be more pointy. This ones are rounded, almost with an indentation in the middle.
    5. She looks, so far, like a mini version (but different color) of my EE hen. Very beautiful and friendly.
    6. Gray/green legs that are pretty thick.

I will do my best to post a pic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by