I've had my quail for about 15 weeks and they have never showed any signs in laying‽

Mar 11, 2019
Oahu
Hi, I'm new here! I signed up because I love reading the posts on here to help me with my quails and silkies since I'm just now getting into them and I just realized how old my quails are. They are coturnix and at least 16-17 weeks old (I have three, unsure of gender but I've never heard any crowing). I was wondering if anyone else has had quails who haven't layed even at this age. They don't seem to be stressed. They are super calm and love playing in their dust bath but no laying. Ever. Thank you to anyone reading or helping!

Last edited:
Our ringneck pheasants aren't laying yet here in Iowa, they lay when the ground is nice and warm here. May usually.
Yes, I've had them since the beginning of December and the season might be the reason. That actually hadn't come to mind because I live on the hot part of Oahu and so season change isn't something we get here but I guess its still natural for them to feel its winter maybe? Thank you BirdsBeesTrees!

Welcome to the forums. Quails usually take a break from laying during the cold months until the spring. They kind of run on a photosense similar to plants. They need a certain amount of light each day to trigger the hormonal responses that get the eggs going. Thats why they stop during the colder (shorter daylight) months. Also because its cold lol. Some people supplement daylight all year to keep their quail laying, which you can do, but ive heard it leads to shorter life span. Im only doing it now myself with this flock because it's almost season anyways, and they were used to the light cycle for over a year now. Before i got them.

It could also be diet related. My hens took a break when i was trying to source some decent feed. I settled for sharing the chick starter for now until i can get some proper turkey/pheasant starter. But the chick feed (with some added limestone for calcium) had them laying and happy again for now.

Good luck with your quail, and again, welcome.

Yes, I've had them since the beginning of December and the season might be the reason. That actually hadn't come to mind because I live on the hot part of Oahu and so season change isn't something we get here but I guess its still natural for them to feel its winter maybe? Thank you BirdsBeesTrees!

It's a daylight length thing, not temp. Just add lights on a timer if you want to get em going early! (Although note this will shorten their overall laying life)

Ok thank you everyone, I guess I just wasn't thinking about that because like I said, we don't really have seasons here. It's always hot, as well as extremely sunny. Right now my quails are getting about 12 hours of natural light if that's any use. I don't intend on using heat lamps because it never gets to the point where I would need it here.

We're getting about 12 hours of light right now, but I think 14 is the magic number of hours to guarantee eggs. My chickens will be 3 years old in 3 weeks, and they started back laying in December... so I think the quail are just more light-sensitive. I don't think it's ever been a temperature issue because I'm in Tennessee where we sometimes get all 4 seasons in one week, and that has never bothered them.

Back
Top Bottom