1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I've had some large eggs..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BrahmaMama, Feb 10, 2008.

1. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    But in my year of chickenkeeping, this one takes the cake! I've never seen a goose egg in person, but I imagine they are probably about this size [​IMG] :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pictures just don't seem to do it justice either, lol!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

That looks like the one, one of my hens laid a while back....never did figure out who laid it, but it had to be an ouch!! There's a picture of mine somewhere on here.

3. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    Do you know what kind of hen layed it?
    I had a buff orp hen lay an egg like that. It was almost scary. I could not close the lid on the egg carton, it was so big.
    Everyone bet me that it had to be a triple yoke. Nope! Double yoke.

4. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    That has to be at least a double yorker? Did you notice any hen walking a little rough or maybe a little relieved after that one!? Are all the eggs in the back ground a days catch?

5. BrahmaMama

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Ouch exactly...was wondering if someone was going to need stitches, lol!

6. BrahmaMama

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Quote:I'm not sure...I'm guessing it's one of the white rocks, or a light or buff brahma-leaning towards a Rock though. I've had double yokers that were smaller, so I was wondering if it's a triple too, but I'm betting it's just a huge double [​IMG] I haven't had the heart to break it yet, lol! I'm going to take a picture with it in the pan by itself when I do though [​IMG]

Hobbychickener, I didn't notice anyone different, surprisingly enough! [​IMG] Yep, that's a days worth of work for the girls. I'm getting around 15-20 a day, usually 19 [​IMG]

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] OUCH!

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I've never seen a goose egg in person, but I imagine they are probably about this size

Nope they're bigger than that. But I would like to add: OOOWWWW!​

9. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    How many girls? Couple dozen?

10. BrahmaMama

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Wildsky, lol! I just love that smiley!

Pips&peeps, that's good to hear I don't have to be on the look out for a renegade goose [​IMG] *though I'd love a pair of Sebastopols to show up unannounced... [​IMG]

Hobbychickener...let's see, I have 10 white Rocks, 6 light Brahmas, 2 buff Brahmas, 2 little buff hens-haven't figured out what they are yet; 1 Speckled Sussex, 5 EE's-though only one is laying, and 4 or 5 golden spangled Hamburgs-my only white egg layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by