I've heard it both ways, Is Aggressiveness in chickens Hereditary?

stormylady

Songster
11 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Illinois
I read on here somewhere not to breed Aggressive Roosters, or Hens for that matter, and just recently I was told that it wasn't Hereditary, So I would like to know what everyones opinions are
smile.png

And what about Being Docile and friendly, Does it depend on the parent birds temperment?

I breed toypoodles, and in the dog world Aggressiveness breeds Aggressiveness for the most part. I realize chickens are NOT dogs but does the same hold true with Chickens? Thanks, Sandy

I would say it has a lot to do with it, but the old nature vs. nurture argument still rages in many circles, animal and human alike. I've never had an aggressive roo in all the years I've had flocks and I fail to believe it was just because I got lucky...over and over again.

I think both play a large part and any undesirable trait should be culled if it cannot be changed.

Quote:
I agree with you, in that, Depending on the circumstances, I meant to say that if you have say an aggressive Rooster that you were not able to change, He was just plain mean, I don't mean protective, I mean just flat out nasty. Ive only had one truely nasty Roo and that was a Silkie no matter what I did made no difference, he was treated well just like all the others but was just hateful no matter what. He is no longer here.

I think certain breeds are more prone to be aggressive over others but there are always the odd bird in any breed that will be aggressive. I don't know which breeds are more prone other than Rhode Island Red Roosters (from experience) but I'm sure there are others and I'm sure there are very lovable and friendly RIR roosters too.

It is known that temperament is inheritable - in animals and humans. What we do not know about Roos is how much of that genetics can be held responsible for agressive behavior. I like Beekissed have had no problems with aggressive Roos in all my years of chicken keeping (there were 2, but I didn't raise them, and one is still here and does not flog me anymore, and I didn't get into an altercation with him to get to that point)

I have an incredibly aggressive roo. I have spent the last year babying him along because he is one of my show birds. In the show pen he is a perfect gentleman and can be picked up and inspected no problem. I get him home and within 24 hrs he is back to being his nasty old self. I have tried everything. I have used him extensively over the last year in the breeding pen and have not hatched 1 mean bird out of him. That is not to say it will not happy or can't happen. All of my birds are super sweet including the hens I have bred him with. It could be their personality is balancing his out. As soon as I get a roo out of him that is close to his looks he is going into the stew pot. Nature vs Nurture. I don't know but I nurture all my birds and the rest of my 30 odd roos can all be handled and some even love to be picked up and carried around. At least I think they do. Could be they are cussing me out in silence.

Lanae

i thought it would be... BUT!!
im my case no!!!
big_smile.png

i had to put down my beautiful HUGE Barred rock rooster because he was attacking everything my dog, my turkeys, my kids, my company! i was afraid to go get eggs because he would charge me like bull!!
i bred him to a few of my hens i got 5 roos from 10 eggs 4 of them where pure barred rocks and the other was a leghorn x none of them showed agression like he did he was mean right from the start!! as soon as his feathers came in man!! he would try to eat my dog!!
these guys i left alone and they turned out to be good boys!! the leghorn x got his head stuck in the feeder and strangled himself
sad.png
and 3 out of the four pures just up and dissapeared (i think the neighbors dog got them) now i have one..
he is SUCH A SCARDY CAT!!! runs from everything EVEN his own shadow!!! hes not the best rooster.. not like pretty boy he wouldnt eat until his hens did and man he would protect them to the death!!
sad.png
now i dont think i can have it both ways
sad.png
a nice rooster that protects his hens that is
sad.png
SIGH:(

Pretty boy was my first rooster.. when he kicked my daughter in the face that was my last straw!! i still miss that turd!! but so glad he is gone!!

Back
Top Bottom