1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I've heard of broody hens, but a broody ROO???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 4H kids and mom, May 10, 2007.

1. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Well, our amazing ChickenDuck never ceases to amaze us! [​IMG] Today was so cute, and funny at the same time, hours later I'm still smiling about it all!

The weather here during the day is in the mid 80s now, so I thought it would be just fine for the 1 and a half weekers to come on out for awhile with the big chicks, while 'Mama' stands guard. They LOVED soakin up the sun and stretching out and even ate a little grass. A few of my girls came over to inspect them, and then ran off about their own business. One of our roos (Pretty Boy) decided he didnt like them, and went about poking at them and I would take a finger and poke him back. He was starting to get the idea and leave them alone, when he accidentally stepped on the foot of one, who let out a hollar and ChickenDuck came a runnin.

He saw the babies, and then took to beatin poor Pretty Boy real good. Chased him all around the yard, until he finally tired out, and then came back over to the babies. He looked them all over, moving them around with his head. Then he did the weirdest thing!

He laid down and tried to push them under his wings! He wanted to play 'Mama Chicken' lol! [​IMG] Funniest thing I ever saw! He wouldn't leave them alone! But, he was very, very gentle and cooed to them, and clucked, and crowed his very best crows for them. They left me and followed HIM around for the rest of the time they were out with the older chicks! How funny is that!?

After I put them all back in their brooder, he came over to me for a good long snuggle and fell asleep in my arms. I sat holding him for nearly an hour in the sun until I was finally too hot and had to go in. Mrs. Tries-to-be-tough-as-nails-here nearly started crying when I thought of a distant, far off day when he wont be here anymore. [​IMG] I can't imagine another like him. I think we will be hatching eggs that HE is the daddy of....

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Awwww....how sweet is that!!! Too bad you didnt get s pics or a video!! that would have been a keepsake for sure!

3. TJ

TJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Missouri
    What a sweet story! [​IMG] I read once that Angels come to us in all forms. Sometimes a special animal comes along like that whether it be a dog, cat, chicken, etc...and they leave you wondering if you were touched by an Angel.

Thanks for sharing such a neat story...You are undoubtedly the lucky owner of a very sweet Roo'!

TJ

4. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Great story!! What breed is Chicken Duck?

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG]
    ChickenDuck is so special!! What a great story.

6. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

That is truly a beautiful thing, ive forgotten , is chicken duck what type of roo?
    He is a sweety, i hope he is breeding well so you can keep his genes in the flock.
    Hopefully he will live a long and healthy life.
    Ive heard of roos being motherly but not to the warming up extent. My roo feeds them and stands next to the mum and they both look down on their chicks like proud parents. I love roos.
    Well done chickenduck.

7. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Awww, that story warmed the shackles of my heart!!! [​IMG] Chickenduck sounds like such an adorable guy. 3 cheers for Chickenduck!!![​IMG]:woot [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Awwwwwww....I want a chickenduck!! What a great little guy you have there. [​IMG] Thanks for shareing that story!

9. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    bantymum.....ChickenDuck is not yet breeding, as he is just now going on 10 weeks old. But we are planning to breed him, not so much based on his colors, but his temperment and gentle disposition. I want to see that in our future roos, when we'll need another one.

steffpeck....ChickenDuck is an Easter Egger roo. [​IMG]

Here he is in all his glory!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    What a sweet boy, you're lucky to have such a good one. He's so pretty. [​IMG]
    Once I had a Turken roo that sit on some eggs for a couple of nights.Funny to watch them when they do stuff out of character. [​IMG]

Miriam

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by