I've just caught my girls going in for the night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DaveTaunton, Oct 14, 2013.

1. DaveTaunton

DaveTaunton Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2013
    Taunton, England
    So I thought I'd follow fill up their food for the night etc. And I noticed that as they huddled in together they started to peck at each other, nothing overly violent or anything, I was just wondering if this was normal? we've had them around a month now and it doesn't seem to cause them any problems throughout the day, Thanks [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Pecking order. Normal

They don't eat at night as they can't see.
    In some buildings I take the food away at night to cut down on vermin.

3. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

It's kinda like don't sit by me I don't like you, pecking order ,who gets top rung, i'm the boss you bow down ,a submissive can sit by me .

it's all normal for chickens social pecking order

4. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    There were ten in the bed and the little one said, "roll over, roll over". So they all rolled over and one fell out...

There were nine in the bed and the little one said...

;)

1 person likes this.
  5. DaveTaunton

Sep 15, 2013
    Taunton, England
    The coop is a converted shed which I get up early to open etc, trust me, nothing is getting in or out of there ;)

I'm glad it's all normal though, like I said they weren't doing it hard or anything, I'd just not followed them in while they were settling before

6. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    When first heard mine arguing over who was going to sleep where, I thought there was a raccoon in there with them. It was just squabbling, and I was relieved. I have a new maturing rooster, and half the girls are fighting over who is going to sleep next to the new boy. And the other ones are arguing over the spots furthest away from him. :rolls eyes:

7. DaveTaunton

Sep 15, 2013
    Taunton, England
    Haha! Sounds like they're teenagers ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by