I've just lost my second chick in 4 days!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jessierose, Sep 8, 2009.

1. jessierose

jessierose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    What's going on? I started with 51. Is it normal to lose a few in a group that large? I just checked on these guys about 2 hours ago and they were perky and eating and drinking.
    Now, I went out and one was lying on it's side gasping for air and dying.
    The first one looked like it was smothered under a bit of litter and lots of chicks. This one just looks like it lay down and died.
    What am I doing wrong???

2. LoveKhlassy

LoveKhlassy Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Don't feel bad.....

my grandma had batches of 100 were 25 chicks died!

I had a really sick batch a year ago, and i felt bad, but it is totally normal to lose 2-3 chicks. Usually they are just weaklings, or they were sick, or had a broken wing or toe or something.

sorry 'bout your chick [​IMG]

hope the others stay healthy [​IMG]

3. LoveKhlassy

LoveKhlassy Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    actually, after about 4-5 days the worst is usually over... that will probably be your last chick.... are they warm? do they have food and water? are there too many in one pen????

4. jessierose

jessierose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    I think there were too many together. A few looked kind of damp so I cleaned their litter out and increased their floor space by 100%.
    It's very warm outside and they are in a room in the garage with two reading lamps on them. A brooder light made it 120 degrees in an instant. It's about 85 or 90 outside today so lamps are all they seem to need. They are sleeping laying down and aren't too huddled together.
    Oh, it just breaks my heart for something that was alive a moment ago to be dead. I am too tender-hearted, I know but I'd rather be like this than not, I suppose.
    Is there anything else I should check on?

5. Debbie58

Debbie58 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Sorry to hear about your chicks. I was wondering....[​IMG] I'm only going to buy 3 chicks. I live in the city. Will I lose my chicks too?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by