I've Killed The Babies! *update*

Catstar68

Songster
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Franklinton, NC
hit.gif
I can't believe what I've done. I'm sitting here in tears. I hope you'll all understand this. Please don't beat me up over this - I'm doing that well enough for all of BYC. I know I should have waited.
I have a broody BR, Ruth. she's been been broody for over 12 weeks now and in the beginning I tried to break her of it. My BO had hatched out 7 in mid-May and 5 were roosters and my MM order came in for 26 (plus a Polish roo) pullets so I really didn't need any more. I tried everything posted here for about 9 weeks and she still would not give up. So I gave her 2 marked eggs to sit on Aug. 7th. I'm convinced that she is not right in her little chicken head because right from the start she forgets which nest is hers and I find her eggs cold a few times over the next several weeks.
he.gif
Each time I stick them back under her. They were fertile and I hoped that they would be okay.
Well, today I must have just ran out of patience. I go in to collect the eggs and there she is, 2 nest boxes over and her eggs are cold so I think "well, this is it, they're dead". So I'm POed to the max (I had a bad day so I wasn't in a good mood to begin with). I take her off the nest, toss her outside with the others and take the 2 cold eggs and chuck them into the woods. One goes deep into the woods and hits a tree. The other flies a little wide and hits a closer tree. It looks weird so I go over and THE CHICK IS MOVING. At least in my mind it seems like it. I pick it up and it's cold but I think it moved a little. The level of development indicated that the chick would probably have hatched in a few days.
hit.gif

Please don't beat me up over this. I feel so sick and miserable and I just don't know what to do. She's back in the nest box. She is thin and her comb has become shriveled and pale. I'm convinced she will kill herself if she doesn't have a chick or two. Should I start over again? Her musical nesting habits drive me nuts and I don't have room to isolate her. TSC had some chicks last weekend but they sold them in lots of 6...I thought about it but wanted to give her a chance to do it herself.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
Now I've been so stupid and impatient and I've killed the babies.
hit.gif

The thought of her on that nest for another 3 weeks just kills me. What can I do for her????
I'm so heartbroken over those 2 chicks.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry you are going through this. With the eggs being cold, the odds of them successfully hatching were probably not very good. I would buy 6 chicks and post an ad on here or Craigslist to find a home for any extras you don't want. Give her a few and get her off the nest to do her motherly thing. Hopefully she'll be a good mom. Good luck.

I have done the same thing and felt rotten about it also... it happens... don't beat yourself up.
If you can get some day-old chicks, do... and slip them under her in the dark of night... she will be thrilled in the morning and get going being a good mom. Lots of special protein treats for her then! Good luck and hope you can find some babies for her.

ETA... try not to let her sit for another 3 weeks... it takes such a toll.
sad.png

Last edited:
very sorry to know your going through that..
very tough but no way of you knowing it would be like that
its tough but i agree get her some babies and good luck with them
smile.png

OMG hunny-Im so so sorry-that is terrible--where do you live? what state if you close I have chicks due this weeknd I can part with 1-2????

Quote:
Oh, you're an angel for offering
hugs.gif

I so wish I were closer but I live in NC - N. Raleigh/Wake Forest/Louisburg area (no one really knows where Franklinton is, it seems). TSC is out of chicks now and will not have more until Spring.
Thank you all so much. You've all made this a bit easier to deal with. I'm just crushed over this.

I'm in North GA, I have some chicks hatching right now.... if you wanna make the trip. So sorry about your eggs
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom