I've learned not all hens and egg colors are the same!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mcleveland, Apr 3, 2012.

1. mcleveland

mcleveland Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Northeast Georgia
    Since this being our first ever flock of chickens, with most of the population being made up of NHR hens, I've since learned that no two NHR's may lay the same size nor the same color of egg! We've got at least 2 NHR's laying double yolkers every time they've laid thus far, one that has been laying a fart egg, one that laid at least 2 soft shelled (think we've got the kinks worked out on her now), some eggs are like a very light kakhi color with a chalky texture, while others are "pink", med. brown and some that I swear could be mistaken for a welsummer's egg! We have one egg in the fridge right now that is a little bigger than the double yolker! Hubby asked since when do we have an ostrich! One of the NHR that does lay a double yolker still will not lay in a nesting box. She is very content on laying in the far back corner of the coop under the nesting boxes, I have to get a garden hoe to reach her egg.

[​IMG]

And is it just me, or do any of you spend more time than you care to admit to just watching your flocks? LOL [​IMG]

I'm enjoying my flocks so much and I enjoy learning about them and their quirks and personalities!

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Beautiful assortment of colors on those eggs. My girls lay all shapes, sizes and colors too. Lovely.

3. NCnarrator

NCnarrator Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    You're not alone in chicken watching (I've heard it called chicken TV on this forum!). I gave the family this big speech about how these chickens are NOT pets, dangit! Then I sat on a chair in the middle of our run yesterday for about an hour and just watched them do chicken stuff. The highlight of the afternoon was the discovery of a worm...a great deal of running, body checks, and tussling!

Beautiful eggs BTW!

4. Lizz9311

Lizz9311 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Central Massachusetts
    We've only just started with egg layers (our first flock of chickens) and one of the girls gave us a huge egg. I haven't cracked it open yet, but I'm suspecting it might be a double yolker or something.

And yes, I spend more time than I should just standing at my window and watching the flock!

5. mcleveland

Mar 6, 2012
    Northeast Georgia
    Ah yes.....Food Tag! LOVE to watch them do that! :)

6. mcleveland

Mar 6, 2012
    Northeast Georgia
    It probably is! [​IMG] I got an egg from one of our leghorns and it was normal size, it was a double yolker which was a little shocking. Didn't expect that.

7. mcleveland

Mar 6, 2012
    Northeast Georgia
    thank you! [​IMG]

8. QuiltinChick

QuiltinChick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    Iowa
    My 4 year old daughter and I spent over an hour yesterday just watching our flock peck and explore the grass. They are only 2 weeks old and it was one of their first outside adventures. I think I could save a lot of money by cancelling my DirecTv and just watching the chicks instead. And the bonus would be all of the other stuff that would get done around here!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by