ive lived here 6 yrs never had a problem with predators untill today

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Budlady, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Budlady

Budlady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Concan TX
    [​IMG] went out this morning to check my flock and thow down some feed for them, they wait for me to do this every morning i looked arround for my little female wood duck shes no where to be found her and 2 of my best laying chicken are gone i walked arround and checked all thier fav hiding spots they are no where to be found [​IMG] , then i took my dog for her morning walk she and old herd dog we have a private road a 1/4 mile long we walked down the road i saw chicken feathers alot of them [​IMG] i walked a little further and saw my cat laying in the middle of the highway dead with a racoon right next to each other, about that time my neighbor drove up and said , i was comming to tell you when i was waiting for the school bus this morning i saw the cat and racoon fighting in the road [​IMG] i tried everything i could to make them stop( the speed limit is 70 mph on the highway) a car was comming i was throwing sticks and rocks but the car hit them both [​IMG] [​IMG] he said im sorry but just for the record the cat was winning im so sad i had to come home and get a trash bag to get my cat and bury him. tonight im going to turn my dog loose in the yard and lock the gate just in case some other hungry animal decides to snack on my flock, shes a blue lacy heeler mix breed to hunt hogs im sure she will handle what every else wanders up here, rip in peace fur ball i will miss you [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  2. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    I'm SO sorry! [​IMG]

What a sad morning for you [​IMG]

It really ticks me off that that driver wouldn't at least swerve around those animals...why'd they have to hit them?

[​IMG]

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    That is horrible. I am so sorry for your losses.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

How awful! Raccoons are known to attack and kill cats quite often, but having a car hit them? That's just terrible!

5. Budlady

Apr 4, 2011
    Concan TX
    [​IMG] i know i have half a mind to go skin that coon and hang his hide on the wall [​IMG] furball was a great mouser he was the only one of the four cats i have that would actually kill mice and rats i dont understand why he was fighting a coon 1/4 mile from my house [​IMG] well predator watch is on now my neighbor also told me there is a fox and a very large bobcat on the prowl here also [​IMG] gona be some sleepless nights here untill i can get the preditors gone [​IMG] i sure hope lacy (Blue lacy /heeler mix) can protect my babies for now [​IMG]

6. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Maybe the cat was going after the raccoon for attacking your chickens and duck just a thought so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] I will serve to miss a squirrel I am sure the person could see them why don't people just slow down.

7. ryan820

ryan820 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Colorado
    So sorry for you loss and in such a horrible way. [​IMG]

8. Budlady

Apr 4, 2011
    Concan TX
    Its kinda dark out here early in the morning this happend arround 6 am people never slow down out here they see an animal in the road they just run it over, they even hit the buzzards [​IMG] heck the jerk right next to us that shares our road drive @ 30 or 40 every morning down our small dirt road [​IMG]

9. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Nothing bugs me like a person who won't at least even TRY to avoid hitting an animal - no matter what kind it is. I know I do - so I can at least live with myself if I do end up hitting something . I even go around frogs in the road and yell at DH when he's driving and doesn't.
    So sorry about the multiple losses though - that really sucks. [​IMG]

10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I'm of the opinion that there are people that drive that never see things in the road. I followed one that hit a huge snapping turtle that could have easily have been missed plus not only did not slow down or swerve but continued on like nothing happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by