1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I've looked and no one says anything about really loud clucking...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by UP_Chicken_Lover, Nov 27, 2008.

1. UP_Chicken_Lover

UP_Chicken_Lover Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2008
    Western UP of MI
    My girls started laying this week but good grief...every time I go out it's mayhem! Loud clucking - I give them water, food, scratch (even when they don't need it) - pastries any junk food that I have handy that I know they can eat ... I don't know what they want? Any suggestions?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's what they do... announce to the world this oblong object has been deposited in the coop... or just practice for it.

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Mine do it to [​IMG] also the roo joins in.

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I have hens that cackle to announce they are heading for a nest, about to sit down, about to lay, have laid, down with the post laying nap, getting off the nest, and leaving the hen house.

Some just do it because they can.

The roosters try to out do them and are just as loud.

Matt

5. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 3 hens that are thinking about laying, and they make huge noisy presentations to prove that they are really, really close to laying an egg. They cluck and make tons of racket and aren't even laying yet. Silly hens!

6. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    This must be something I have yet to experience, my girls only make loud clucks when I first pick them up. But they are still pretty young. 11 and 10 weeks old now

7. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Oh wait you left out...I am clucking because someone else is laying [​IMG]
    My roo Elvis was actually caught on camera doing it...funny roo!

[​IMG]

8. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    Aha, so Elvis is his name? Hi, Kathleeen! [​IMG]

9. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Quote:Your right. Not to mention: someone is in the nest I want, I just saw something move, someone stole my biscuit(or other treat), don't you DARE go back in the house without giving me a treat, Hey-HEY she got a bigger piece, etc.........

[​IMG] I love my needy birds [​IMG]

Matt

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Hi there! Welcome! ALL of my hens yell their fool heads off when they lay, and sometimes when someone is laying so there is this cacaphony of clucks and BAWKS! Normal. Funny, but normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by