I've lost my mind, just threw in 2 eggs from fridge...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Suellyn, May 9, 2009.

1. Suellyn

Suellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    Okay give me some input on the ODDS here...!!!! (I know it's probably a long shot, though!!)

I have 8 buff orpington eggs in the incubator, I just set them yesterday.

Anyway, I couldn't get it out of my head that there were also a dozen eggs in the fridge that DH got last weekend from a friend of his who has chickens. That means as of today they are OVER 7 days old, probably more like 10 days or so, BUT probably fertile (saw telltale "bullseye" on breakfast eggs past few mornings!!).

So I tossed 2 of them (the ones with the best looking air cells & shells) in the 'bator with the 8 orp eggs....

Just for fun.

They won't actually hatch, will they? Or will they? I know they are Rhode Island Reds...

I will be candling for veining, then throwing them out I'm sure... right??

I seriously have lost my mind. [​IMG]

2. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    I have heard of sucessful hatches from fridge eggs before. 10 day old eggs are not too old. Keep us posted and good luck.

3. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Hatched fridge eggs before that were at least a week old, no problem.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:The odds? Slim.

All the books and scientists say that below 40 degrees F, the germ is killed and is unlikely to grow.
    But there is ALWAYS someone to come along and tell how they were able to defeat the odds and hatch refrigerated eggs.

I would tell you to make an omelette of them and not waste your time. But you are free to as you wish. All in the name of fun, of course [​IMG]

5. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    HI there! I'm one of "those" people

odds are not slim...... i had a teacher who hatched 18 eggs from my fridge. the eggs were in there for one week.....

i also incubated a DUCK egg that had been in the fridge for a month. and for fun i put it in the inbubator. . . and day 28 it hatched....

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Hey, it's worth a shot! "You never know until you try." [​IMG]

7. Suellyn

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    Quote:The other 8 or 9 eggs will be french toast & omelettes tomorrow morning, I promise... [​IMG]

Don't know what got into me, just all the sudden decided to candle them to see which ones looked "best", then threw 2 of them in with the others... [​IMG]

8. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Ive hatched eggs that were in the frig for almost 3weeks, 20 of 24 eggs hatched.

9. Suellyn

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    oh, holywow.. so these eggs actually have a chance??? funny.. will see I guess, but not getting my hopes up!!

10. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    I just hatched a bunch of refrigerated EE eggs. They were in the fridge for 10 days before I decided to toss them in incubator to fill up some extra space. I marked them so I would know which eggs came out of the fridge, and except for one quitter they all hatched - perfectly healthy - and are currently running around like the dickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by