ive lost two hens in four days. anyone have an idea why?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kitten0101, Mar 5, 2013.

1. kitten0101

kitten0101 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    Virginia
    I bought 6red sexlinks about two months ago. I have lost two in the last four days. They show absolutely no signs of sickness not even so much as a runny nose. They did have lice and one died before treatment. I have dusted and sanitized everything and ive always cleaned my coop everyday. Ive also wormed. Their feathers are shiny and soft, legs are in perfect condition. No blood anywhere and poo has been completely normal and vents are spotless and no blood. I am at a loss. Could they be dying of old age or could it be something else? Ive inspected the bodies with a fune tooth comb and cannot find one singke thing that is suspicious. If its old age ive been dooped.

2. TravisE

TravisE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    fayette county wv
    how pale are their legs and beaks? if they are real light they are older. egg laying takes the pigment out of the legs and beaks. from what i hear it is common for red sex links to dye suddenly if they are over 2 or 3 years old. i hope this isnt true since i have 4 of them. mine are almost a year old. if yours they are older maybe they couldnt handle the stress. maybe the move to their new home weakened them.
    hope this helps
    travise

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  3. kitten0101

Nov 23, 2012
    Virginia
    They never showed any signs of stress. They are all happy and I give extra attention to them as they were severely debeaked. They eat beautifully as I put their food (laying pellet) in a bowl for easier eating as they cannot peck at the ground. The are all very trusting of me and come when called. I have not changed diet. The one that just passed acted normal all day. They have not layed since ive had them. Their beaks what little they have are of a light color. Im suspecting they are at least 2or 3 maybe older. I dont know how to tell age. The first hen that died I checked her vent and it was very dry and wrinkled.

4. TravisE

Mar 27, 2012
    fayette county wv
    mine havent started to lay yet. my stop laying over the winter. give yours time they will start to lay again. just not as good as when they were young. if they are around 3. id say you should get a egg about every other day. but they should be extra large eggs. i wish you luck with them. maybe some one else with more more experience. can help you more.
    p.s chickens are very good at hiding things that are wrong with them. once you notice some thing. it is usually to late.

5. kitten0101

Nov 23, 2012
    Virginia
    But thats what I cant figure out. No signs whatsoever. Oh I also felt for maybe an impact egg on both but there was nothing. Unless someone can offer another explination I guess I have to assume you are right on sexlinks suddenly dying and that I will be losing the others soon

6. TravisE

Mar 27, 2012
    fayette county wv
    i have also heard of some living to be 5, but at that age they were only laying a egg a week. just from what ive heard some suddenly dye around 2 or 3 for some reason. i do wish you the best of luck with them. it is funny how they follow you around the yard isnt it?
    i hope ive helped in some way

7. kitten0101

Nov 23, 2012
    Virginia
    You have been a huge help. Thank you so much. Ive trained all my chickens to come to me when called cause I always bring a treat. This is for their saftey if I need them to come quick. As soon as I hollar "where's my girls" the come running as fast as there legs can carry them : ). Im sad about my two but I know their last days were good. Clean living conditions, good food, and freedom. Their previous living conditions were less than acceptable.

8. TravisE

Mar 27, 2012
    fayette county wv
    my are not trained but they still follow me. mine only have 1/2 an acre of fenced it yard to run in. plus my have areas to hide. i havent lost one yet.

9. kitten0101

Nov 23, 2012
    Virginia
    I did have to get my husband to build a huge run because we got two foxes running around. My husband got the one and he's been hunting the other one. As soon as he gets it I'll be able to let them out again. I got 27 acres of mountain land so they have lots of room. I got one of my dogs loose so she stays near the coop. Ive got to move my invisible fence so my beagle can be near them. She'll chase anything away

10. TravisE

Mar 27, 2012
    fayette county wv
    i hear that. ive had 3 beagles! right now i have 3 dogs. 2 golden retrievers and a corgi. i have acre on top of a mountain. i have the back yard fenced off. for the 2 goldens, garden, and chickens. my avatar is me nealing beside the 650lb pumpkin i raised this past year. can you say my chickens ate pumpkin every day for a while with there normal feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by