I've moved the babies to brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mom'sfolly, Jan 4, 2008.

1. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    and I can't remember what's supposed to happen. The oldest are about 36 hours and the youngest just enough to be dried off. Do I go ahead and give them food and water now. The other chicks I had were a year ago, came from the feed store and knew about food. I'll go read the FAQs again. Got the starter food and water bowls, the brooder is nice and warm and they're in a chickie pile with the silkies at the bottom.

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The temp s/b 95-100 just under the light and make sure there is some room to get away from the heat as well. They will pile initially until they feel the warmth..sometimes its a bit of a shock going from incubator to brooder..just watch nobody gets squished.

Yes, you can put feed and water right in. And of course, have fun with them.

Jody

3. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Thanks Jody, they keep moving around. The bigger buff orps are staying a little farther from the light, and the silkies are right under it. All three silkies hatched today, so they are a little younger. I've got one RIR egg that just pipped, and two have hatched. One of the RIR is already my favorite, she always looks up at me and peeps when I walk by. She also seems the most alert. What has surprised me the most is how staggered the hatch has been, I expected them all to hatch closer together.

4. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    I would also dip their beaks in the water and food so they know where and what it is. Good luck with all your little sweeties!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by