I've never had a fresh egg before, especially not my pets egg....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ButtersMama, Jul 22, 2011.

1. ButtersMama

ButtersMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    I am being upfront here. I kinda feel wierd about eating them.

We had the first one 2 days ago and 3 more yesterday. So now I have 4 eggs. I have store bought eggs left and am eating them first.

Is it normal to be hesitant? My husband feels the same way ....anyone feel this way? Please keep in mind..we are new to this and have never had farm fresh eggs or chickens. Our chickens are almost 21 weeks now and are now starting to lay. We love them as pets....they are so sweet and funny.

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Yeah, some people get weirded out at first. The good news is you get over it real fast!

Your eggs are better than store bought cuz you fed your chickens good food and gave them sunshine and exercise.

And if it's the fertile thing that is making you weird, keep in mind there are folks who take the store-bought eggs and hatch them!

There's even threads like "Trader Joe Eggs" of people who hatch their store bought eggs.

Go ahead and ENJOY YOUR EGGS!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    The first time I bought real , free rang eggs I was freaked. Being a city gal them orange yolks were freaky. My husband ate them and said they were the best eggs he ever had! I tried them and omg he was right, I have never been so thrilled in my life to be able to get them. The store eggs are so yucky compared to real fresh eggs. Store eggs sit a long time before you buy them, there caged and suffer greatly before hitting you table. Eat them girl, then you will know what an egg should taste like !

4. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Quote:You can hatch them from stores ? No kidding? Even if there cold ? Ok this is interesting!

5. cpwhip

cpwhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    "folks who take the store-bought eggs and hatch them!"

Noooooo Really???? I thought store bought eggs weren't fertilized?? so how could the hatch??

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    You're not alone in your feeling--some people, especially those not brought up on the farm or rural areas, feel that way at first. But if you have never eaten farm fresh eggs your are not only in for a treat but will only eat store bought ones again under duress. Just one tip: If you're going to eat them boiled, then give them a few weeks in the refrigerator to "age" first because fresh eggs are almost impossible to peel once boiled. (At this point there are going to be people that will argue and give lots of ways to overcome this but most aren't as reliable as waiting a few weeks. [​IMG] )

7. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Store bought eggs wont hatch at all, once they get cold they cant hatch and they come from white leghorns that are caged seperately and no roosters around for miles.

trader joe eggs on the other hand maybe, if they got them from a local source.

8. azpenguin

azpenguin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Don't feel weird about it at all. Have at 'em and enjoy them. Unless you went through the trouble to buy cage free eggs from a place that really cares about their chickens, the store bought eggs are a bad deal all around. If you've ever seen the cages egg farm chickens live in... they're tiny. The bird has maybe enough room to turn around and that's it. They can't spread or flap their wings. (Look up battery cages in Wikipedia.) Meanwhile, your birds are laying eggs. They're well cared for and have room to play. And guess what? They can't help that they're going to be laying eggs, they just do what nature programmed them to do, and they're going to do it 200-300 times per year each depending on the breed, whether they're a pet or not. You might as well enjoy those farm-fresh eggs, because there's going to be too many for the birds to do anything with.

9. azpenguin

azpenguin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    The store bought eggs that people are hatching are fertile eggs. Trader Joes and places like Whole Foods have them. TJs fertile eggs at $2.79 a dozen... if you hatch out half of them that's less than 50 cents a chick. Some have hatched 8 or more out of a dozen. I don't have an incubator but I fully intend to slip a couple under the first hen that goes broody, mostly because I think it's funny that you can actually do it [​IMG] They actually grow into some beautiful birds, too.

10. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Wow! Wish we had a trader joes! Sounds fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by