Ive never had chicks that im starting to hate!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Poultrybonkers, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    I only have 3 babies right now two BCM and a EE. And they are the worst ever everyday they knock over the waterer when its filled all the way and then the ee peeps really loud until the get what they want. I even put marbles in the container so its heavier but that didnt work!
    This is radiculas!! Cant wait until their 8 weeks so i can shove their butts outside!!

One question do EEs grow tails! Mine dont have tail feathers!

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    What do you have the three chicks in? Is it at least 2'x 3'? It should be three feet deep. You can rig the waterer to hang. I put the bottle in a sock or mandarin orange net bag, secured tightly around the neck with twisted wire. Attach a hook at the top, trimming excess material from below the neck so it doesn't hang in the water dish. I cut slots in the top of the brooder walls and slip a stick through and suspend the bottle from that. You keep raising the bottle every few days as the chicks grow so it's always the height of their necks, and they won't kick shavings into the water. If they have to stretch their necks to drink, it's okay.

I elevate the food on blocks, making a find of feeding platform. That way the shavings stay pretty much below the food.

You need to be patient and resourceful, tacking each problem as it arises. It's tough at first to stay ahead of these tiny guys.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Kinda like having kids...

4. Poultrybonkers

Mar 22, 2011

I never wanted kids!! I hear peeping again!!

5. h.woods54

h.woods54 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    I have an EE that would squeal her heart out! From 10PM to midnight, in the dark, she would squeal... it wasn't even a peep, it was a full blown shrill of a whistle! And it was LOUD! But, I loved every minute of it. I suggest you don't get anymore baby chickens if you can't handle their mess, mine would tip the water over, get the water in their food, get the bedding in their food, etc. Baby chicks require a lot of time and work to keep them happy and stress free. Maybe look for juvenile pullets next time? Or, the better way to go about, adopt a hen [​IMG]

6. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds like they might be cold or chilled from tipping their water or lack of heat lamp. Chicks usually are not that bad if they are comfortable/.

7. evry chick is prety much like that

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West

You need to get serious. 2 gallon water dispenser or get the nipple method.

[​IMG]

A 2 Gallon Feeder with a pan under it to prevent wood chips and them scratching

[​IMG]

9. h.woods54

h.woods54 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
  10. Poultrybonkers

Mar 22, 2011
    h.woods54 :

I have an EE that would squeal her heart out! From 10PM to midnight, in the dark, she would squeal... it wasn't even a peep, it was a full blown shrill of a whistle! And it was LOUD! But, I loved every minute of it. I suggest you don't get anymore baby chickens if you can't handle their mess, mine would tip the water over, get the water in their food, get the bedding in their food, etc. Baby chicks require a lot of time and work to keep them happy and stress free. Maybe look for juvenile pullets next time? Or, the better way to go about, adopt a hen [​IMG]

Their quiet now. I added more marbles and i woundnt adopt a hen due to the disease it can carry into my flock. I have more chicks coming in the spring. All these chicks i have now will be dinner in a few months. Since their males.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by