I've never had ducks. Is it a bad idea to try to hatch some right off?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bronwyn, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Bronwyn

Bronwyn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    I feel like it isn't hard to hatch ducklings, but it takes time and monitoring temperature and humidity. And it seems super stressful. What do you say? Is it better to just order some already hatched ducklings or to try to hatch them?

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    [​IMG]

I think it depends on where you live and how much work you are wanting to put in. I don't incubate but it does not seem that it is more difficult to incubate duck eggs there are just different requirements.

Things to consider:
    -if you incubate and live in a cold climate, what happens if you have a power outage? Same thing goes if you get ducklings and have a brooder. They will need heat for a number of weeks.
    -if you are in a cold climate, regardless of how you get ducklings, where will you brood them? Ducklings are adorable but STINK and are very messy. A brooder will need to be cleaned out about every other day. I find it easier to brood them outside with mom when she chooses.

3. Dwen

Dwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Concord, NC
    If you hatch them yourself it will be easier to bond with them, which is important if you're looking for friendly pets. Not so much if you need livestock.
    As for the hassle, it depends on your incubator. I incubated calls this year in a little giant. This meant a month of adjusting temperature and humidity, hand turning every 8 or so hours (three x per day) and taking them out to cool for 5-10 min every day. If you have something more advanced, like hova-bator, or brinsea, it becomes a lot easier.

4. BonnieDaleFarm

BonnieDaleFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    Appalachian Mountains
    I would order already hatched ducklings (much easier), but wait for warm weather because they are very smelly to keep inside in a brooder. ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. 4hchickmama

4hchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    We hatched our first ducklings and it was a lot of fun BUT it was a lot of work too. As the others have said, it really depends on what incubator you have as to how much work it is. I found ducks a bit harder to hatch than chicks, but that could just be me. Getting them as ducklings is fine too. Again, I agree with the others, regardless of breed, ducks are MESSY, especially as babies. They also make a brooder stinky a lot faster than chicks. If you can brood outside or in a garage, it is a lot better. What kind of ducks are you thinkin of getting?

6. vogel414

vogel414 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Nebraska
    My first ducklings were already hatched and they have turned out to be my absolutely favorite birds!! We got a HUGE PVC tank and cut it in half with a ramp going in an out of it and when they were older we filled it up and they loved it. (I still have my original "duck tank") we dove almost 5 hours to go get it from the house I lived in when I was in HS and brought it home. For the winter we have put a stock tank de-icer in it and I love to watch them splash around in it!!!

7. Bronwyn

Dec 2, 2012
    Well, some people nearby have (I think) blue swedish and rouen ducks that are super friendly, but I really like the way cayugas look. I haven't really decided. My mom and I just want a couple of ducks that will want to walk around in the yard with us, help out with bugs, and give us a few eggs. Obviously we're also prepared to give them everything they need to be happy.

The real problem, I suppose, is setting a deadline for when we're going to get the ducklings (or eggs, if we go that route), building a coop, and making sure that the ducks are what my mom wants, because I'm leaving for college next year and she'll be the one caring for them. We just can't decide whether it's a better idea to hatch them or buy them already hatched. I think hatching them ourselves would be fascinating, she doesn't particularly like the idea of having ducklings shipped to us, and I can't find anyone in our area who sells either ducklings or fertilized eggs.

8. Bronwyn

Dec 2, 2012
    We live in California, by the way, so I'm not really concerned with it getting too cold.

9. vogel414

vogel414 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Nebraska
    I don't know where you live, but do you have a tractor supply or Bomgars or Orscheln's? They have chicks in the spring.

10. 4hchickmama

4hchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Where in CA? I'm in Sac and I know of breeders in various places across CA. Also, most feed stores can order you in ducklings. Metzer farms is in Ca and is a very good place to order from if you don't find a private breeder. I think they are in Gonzales.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by