I've never seen this so I was hoping it might work

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MJCooper42, Aug 31, 2010.

1. MJCooper42

MJCooper42 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    Stafford
    Hello!
    Newbie from VA here.. trying to figure out where I want to put my Coop that I plan to build,
    this is a pic of the location I'd like to put it
    [​IMG]

it does have some tree roots running threw the area and I hope that wont be a problem
    [​IMG]

and this is my idea,
    Have the coop on the bottom of the slope, (so if i have to block off under the coop i can and the chickens wont get as muddy, there is part shade and part sun, i just took the pic at 11:30am today

also, don't laugh at my insane MS paint skills.. you know your jealous! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

any input in appreciated!!!
    thanks!

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hi there! I would put the coop in the shady spot at the top of the hill and the run at the other end. Your birds will appreciate the shade. Of course I am insanely jealous of your MS paint skills. [​IMG]

3. jomercer

jomercer Chillin' With My Peeps

I would locate the coop as close to the top of the slope as possible (for drainage) and where it gets at least afternoon shade.

4. MJCooper42

Aug 24, 2010
    Stafford
    my only concern with that is that side of the fence in the property line, that and i can't just walk out the side door and get eggs, but if that would work better for the chickens , then i'd do it
    also, how do you say, ... umm.. I'M CHEAP! and hardware cloth is not.. i was trying to get the longest run with the least amount of hardware cloth..

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

We all can understand those cost needs, but really, the chickens need the shade. [​IMG]

6. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    and check your ordinances if there are setbacks from property line.

If you chop out the roots, it'll kill the tree. If your neighbor's tree, they might be able to sue for damages. Or not. Tree ordinances vary as wildly as chicken ordinances. The roots will continue to grow in diameter, so make allowances in construction.

7. MJCooper42

Aug 24, 2010
    Stafford
    all things to think about ! thanks!

that side of the house only gets sun in the AM, and shade at night, the trees the are providing shade are 98% evergreen, so also not a lot of sun in the winter time..

i can look at other locations on the property, that one was just the most convenient.
    thanks again!

hope to hear more suggestion!
    Mjcooper42

8. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:Turn it the other way. Line that lower area with some bricks to keeps "stuff" from washing out completely. Would be a great place to grow shade trees for the run. (you should see my neighbors trees at that back corner) It's also a great place for all the "stuff" to accumulate and your "girls" will love to scratch in there for worms and other goodies. My entire backyard slopes towards that back corner of the run and I have ended up with some of the best "black gold" (compost) thanks to the chickens!

9. MJCooper42

Aug 24, 2010
    Stafford
    maybe I should have said this .... the fence there separates our front yard from the back yard.
    Thanks again!

any other comments are also helpful!
    I feel like the Beekmon Boys , all I know about raising Chickens I've learned on the internet! LOL [​IMG]

10. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Just to be clear here, I think that, all things being equal, having the coop in the shade is better than having it in the sun. I can think of exceptions, such as those that live in the far north or at high elevations where the summer daytime high temperatures are very low. Mostly we try to find shady spots for our birds. I think your location is fine and coyotemagic had a good point about the good stuff in the run washing down hill to be captured. I also liked the idea of planting a tree there at the end that would also provide shade. You could plant a plum or apple and even let the birds have the fallen fruit. If you think it might be too much to walk around the fence, think about incorporating an access to the nest box through the fence. Given the pics we have to work with and your description, I think it looks like a great spot for your coop. Keep us updated on what you do! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by