I've noticed a big change in the Girl's combs and wattles... how long?

elabraleon

Songster
9 Years
Oct 18, 2010
Vancouver
I know, patience is a virtue
smile.png

2 o my chicken ladies have been sprouting some bright red combs and wattles over the past week or 2. One of them keeps digging a nest in our raised garden bed. she'll take a dust bath in it then just keep digging it rounder till it's like a nice cozy nest. Then she'll just lay there for a while, all snuggled up, and it takes a lot to get her to move out once she's settled in.
I'm a bit worried she might lay there instead of in the coop in the nesting box.
What do y'all think?
How long does it take after they start blossoming in the combs and wattles. I am very excited to see some eggs.
They're 19.5 weeks, I think.

if their combs and wattles are turning from pinkish to red, that means they are almost ready to start to lay. at about 1-2 weeks before thay start to lay, you will notice that they will start to squat down once in a while, and they might even start to sing the " egg song"

I have noted some different noises lately. I don't know what egg song is, but they've definitely been making more noise. I'm worried about them laying somewhere in the yard rather than in their coop...

The egg song is bawk bawk bawk bawk BAGAWWWWWKK! You'll know it when you hear it.

When you reach for her, does she squat? (looks like she hunkers down and wings come out a bit)

YOur little hen should lay any day now. If she starts laying outside move it in to the boxes and show her where it is. Mabey she likes the the dirt out side mabey take a little in to the box.

My Buff Orp does lay down when I reach to pet her, but the barred rock doesn't really do that. The barred rock "ninja" has been a stinker all along when it comes to being touched, she has been calming down.She used to scratch, flap, and run away when you try to pick her up, but over that past week or two she's been letting me pick her up without much fussing.
Also, someone told me to put a golf ball in the next box because they will think it's an egg? She's been turning and guarding the golf ball. It's silly. she doesn't lay on it, but If I open up the coop door, she'll go over and check on the golf ball, maybe give it a nudge and then look at me like I had better not go near it.
lol.png

Quote:
I wonder if I'll hear it from inside the house? How long do they sing for?

Oh yeah, you'll hear it. And they sing for as long as they want. If you have a rooster, he'll probably join in too.

Back
Top Bottom