1. kidcallous

kidcallous Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    Well, I just found out that 2x4x8 pressure treated pine is on sale this week for under 2 bucks a board. I guess that's my sign from the good Lord that it's time to start building.
    I'll be going out this weekend with my DH to pick up the supplies... shouldnt be more than $200 for an 8x12 run after all's said and done. (Not including chickens)

My plans before I get ANY chickens (I planned to get 3 or 4) is to:
    build the run/nesting boxes
    Fence the run in 3x2 utility fence from bottom to top/cover with wire on top
    Border the bottom 3 feet of the run with hardware cloth/chicken wire to prevent any "late night coon drive throughs"
    Apron out chicken wire or hardware cloth about a foot and a half to deter digging from preds.
    Roof about a 4x8 foot section for shelter/shade and to keep the water cool.
    treat the area with food grade DE before letting the girls in

Questions for the experts:

Hex poultry netting is MUCH cheaper than hardware cloth.... what are your thoughts/experiences with Hex Netting and predator deterring?

is 4x8 enough of a roofed section for the ladies? It gets to be in the mid 90's here in the summer.

I've learned so much on this site so far, and I am learning more every day! Sometimes learning from peoples awful experiences - but learning nonetheless.

Thanks all!

2. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Poultry netting is only ment to keep poultry in. It does nothing against keeping preditors out. I used 2x4 welded wire for my run as it was cheeper than hardware cloth but still strong enough to keep things out.

3. shopchicks

shopchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Sounds like a good plan, but I'm afraid that your budget might be blown getting all of that done, unless you're sourcing some reused materials. Not trying to be negative, I just don't want you to have sticker shock when you go to the store. I know 4'x100' 2"x4" welded wire is running about $70 a roll, and I just paid $27 for a 25'x2' roll of hardware cloth. Good luck, and be sure to post pics of your progress!

4. kidcallous

kidcallous Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    What about using 2x3 welded wire for the initial fencing, and putting poultry netting around the bottom 3 feet of the run, buried 1 foot down.... ?
    The welded wire should be strong enough for keeping the run secure, and the coonies can't get their arms through the poultry netting...?

I agree that 70 bucks a roll for the hardware cloth is pretty pricy! I can get the 2x3 welded wire for $26 bucks for a 50 foot roll....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by