I've put my last batch this year in the hatcher...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChooksChick, Dec 18, 2009.

1. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    After hatching at least 1000 eggs this year, I've got my last 5 in the hatcher as of an hour ago- 5 buff Orps from the November Swap.

It feels so sad, almost! I think I'm going to let Pidgey104 send me the Polish despite the cold and hatch those, too... I don't think I can unplug!

*sigh*

Does anyone else have trouble letting go? I unplugged the other 4 incubators, but still have one and the hatcher going. The incubator is empty now that I moved these guys over.

I just don't know if I can stop!

*headdesk*

2. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    lol...I keep adding more too! I'm still new at this though, so my hatch rates aren't very good yet. I keep saying "I have to keep trying if I want to figure out how to do it right!"
    I would love to try some Polish too! Ohh....now you got me thinking! [​IMG]

3. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    I think we all should set eggs on New Year's Eve, so as to start off the new year right! Old wives tale -- whatever you are doing at midnight when the year turns, you'll be doing a lot of that year. Yeah!!!!

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    farmin'chick :

I think we all should set eggs on New Year's Eve, so as to start off the new year right! Old wives tale -- whatever you are doing at midnight when the year turns, you'll be doing a lot of that year. Yeah!!!!

I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of that anyway!!

I will set whatever BR/EE eggs I get that week on NYE so it'll be a great start to my Barred Olive Egger project! I've got Cuckoo Marans, dark egg Barred Rocks and a great EE roo to toss at the problem!​

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

This is copied from an old post:

Okay here I am reading the Farmers Almanac and low and behold the is a place in the book that tells the best days to set eggs under hen or incubator. here it is

According to Moon lore and Almanac tradition you should ser eggs (palce eggs under a hen or under an incubator) during specific phases of the moon. A chick takes about 21 days to hatch Here are the best days to set eggs in 2010.
    JANUARY 1,2,9,28,29
    FEBUARY 5,6,25,26
    MARCH 5,6,25
    APRIL1,2,28,29
    MAY 2,6,27
    JUNE 3-5,22,23,30
    JULY1,2,20,28,29
    AUGUST 24-26
    SEPTEMPER 21,22,30
    OCTOBER 1,18,19,28,29
    NOVEMBER 15,16,24-26
    DECEMBER 21,22,29