I've read about the bloody poo I found, but...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KenCoesta, May 12, 2010.

1. KenCoesta

KenCoesta Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Knoxville, TN
    ...it was just the one time - i've been hovering over them all morning and haven't seen any more.
    Nobody's acting any differently.
    I checked everyone's vents and couldn't find any traces of blood.
    My flock ranges from 4-7weeks old and are on Purina medicated starter.

So, does cocci cause ongoing bloody stool, or just every now and then?
    Is it probably cocci even if none of my chicks look sick?
    If it isn't cocci, will treatment be bad for them?

Probably ought to start up chicken medicine box, huh?

2. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I'd not panic yet, I'd just keep an eye on em. Watch for any of them to sit there all puffed up looking. If you see puffed chicks and bloody stool, you're most likely dealing with cocci.

3. KenCoesta

Apr 16, 2010
    Knoxville, TN
    "Puffed up" as in all ruffledy (like, if they were cold), or "puffed up" as in bloated (like, me after Thanksgiving - all fat and kinda in distress).
    Thanks!

4. crittersitter

crittersitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Westchester County,NY
    Puffed up as in ruffely and droopy wings. It can come on quite quickly and you'll be able to see that something is just not right. A chicken medical box is a great idea!

5. For-The-Love-Of-Chickens

For-The-Love-Of-Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Washington State
    We had an outbreak of cocci last spring and I saw bloody poo 3-4 days before our chicken ended up huddled in a corner, tail down. Just keep an eye out! You'll know something is wrong.

It is possible too that they ate something that turned their poo red. Ours free range a bit and we occasionally end up with some pretty funky poo that makes me worry. It is usually nothing though and I never see any more. [​IMG]

Wishing you and your flock good health!!

6. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Yeah, puffed up as in looking cold. Fluffed feathers. As cocci progresses, the puffed up chickens will huddle and not move, as it gets worse, if you push one of the puffed up ones, it will likely just fall over. I would have some sulmet or cordid on hand, and at the first sign of puffiness, or more bloody stools, start dosing...

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Myth about medicated feed is that they cannot contract cocci while on it. They can and many times do! The amprolium in starters is in a very small amt. And cocci comes from their systems being overwhelmed by oocycsts in the soil. All of my brooder-raised chicks do get cocci after they hit the ground. NONE of my broody-raised chicks do and they are on soil from their first week of life, and pick in mama's poop.

8. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    ALL of your brooder raised chicks get cocci Cyn?? Wow, thats scary... I had an outbreak last year, but I had it cleared up before I transfered to the pen.... no one in the pen got it last year, and so far no one this year.....

9. KenCoesta

Apr 16, 2010
    Knoxville, TN
    Uh ho, I remember the little roo(?) CM/BR seeming to have droopy wings before I left home!
    He was sitting on the feeder with his lower eyelid kinda up - squinty.

10. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I would stop and buy one of the two medicines I listed above on your way home. If it is cocci, chances are they'll be noticeably worse by tonight or tomorrow....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by