I've really lost a little faith in humanity tonight

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by dawnjoennikki98, Mar 14, 2011.

1. dawnjoennikki98

dawnjoennikki98 Chirping

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    Hi everyone. Some of you know, I've been awaiting a meeting,that never seemed to happen regarding our ducks. So, tonight was the meeting finally. Now, I wholeheartedly understood that we had a 1 in a million chance that we would be able to keep our ducks. I expected residents to voice their concerns and complaints to the mayor and council of course....what i did not ever expect.. was what happened tonight. While my 12 year old daughter and I were speaking to the mayor and council...Grown men and women (residents, not council) were actually making fun of my daughter, laughing and making inappropriate comments. ONe man said "oh, she's gonna cry now!" People laughed loudly when she said "the ducks are like my children" and they said "omg, like your children??" and laughed. i could go on and on about what was heard by us, and what was heard by my mother who was still seeted while we spoke. obviously my daughter was devastated by what these immature people were doing. So, the mayor and council were decent in their treatment of us, and delayed the desicion to next months meeting. but in the meantime, they are going to come and see the ducks.....and go to neighbors houses and record any quacking etc... what a nightmare for all of us. I Almost wish they just denied us today, so we don't h ave to go through any of this anymore. How can people be so cruel????

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    That is so horrible, I just don't know what to say. [​IMG] I do hope this treatment softenend up the "powers that be" so your DD can keep the ducks. [​IMG] for both of you.

3. wsdareme

wsdareme Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Wow, that's the kind of behavior you expect from nasty little kids in school, not from adults. [​IMG]

Well, what comes around goes around, and they have been spreading some bad karma. They'll get theirs in due time. [​IMG]

I am so sorry your daughter had to endure that treatment. I'm a bit surprised that the mayor or council didn't stop the inappropriate comments -- shame on them (unless they didn't hear them).

I would be encouraged that they're going to come and check out your setup. All is not lost, at least not yet. I wish you all the luck. [​IMG]

4. dawnjoennikki98

dawnjoennikki98 Chirping

Oct 5, 2010
    New Jersey
    thank you. [​IMG] I am thinking they may not have heard all the comments etc... because they were farthest from the rest of the residents. we were about halfway between the council and residents. So, I am going to write a letter of thanks to the mayor and council, and just briefly "make them aware" of the teasing/laughing/comments we heard while speaking. Thanks again.
    Dawn

5. glad_hundegard

glad_hundegard In the Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    There are simply no words for how horribly those people acted, as a member of the human race I am properly ashamed of them.

Please let your daughter know that I am really amazed at her maturity and poise after reading what happened, for a 12 year old to stand up in front of a public forum and the mayor and tell them about her ducks and why she should be able to keep them... that's impressive. Even without the horrible behavior of the audience. And there is ABSOLUTELY no shame in feeling like her ducks are her children. I am a college educated adult, and all of my animals are my children in a very real way. Kudos to your daughter for having a heart big enough to love all the creatures on this beautiful earth.

I'll think good thoughts and keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck!

6. Swampwood

Swampwood Songster

Apr 25, 2010
    Krotz Springs, LA
    Manners and Intelligence are is short supply these days.... ESPECIALLY around the courts and elected(or not) officials.

7. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

This post made me cry................ I find it unusually cruel for grown adults to heckle and taunt a 12 yr. old child who acted more like an adult than they did. My prayers are with her. [​IMG] I hope she understands not all people are like that. I'm sorry to say I could not live in a comunity that treats their young like that. [​IMG] I hope your city council saw this and that is why they delayed the desicion.

8. phasian

phasian Songster

Aug 27, 2009
    Oregon
    So saddened and sorry to hear about your experience. It is shocking and pathetic. Your and your daughter's grace amidst this behaviour is to be commended.

Maybe you should get the word out to your local media about these adults' response. Often this kind of experiences will outrage the public and help land a ruling in your favour to keep your flock.

Considering how irresponsible humans are with creatures like dogs (which can be much louder than ducks) & cats it is still surprising to me that anyone would have issues with duck keeping.

I keep ducks and am also a public advocate for poultry keeping in Portland, OR and if writing a letter in support of this practice will help your with cause, kindly let me know.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    This makes me sad.... and ticked off at the same time. Did you happen video tape these butt heads tonight? [​IMG]

10. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm sorry you had to go through that. It's sad, the behavior of the "adults" there. Use it as a lesson on how to not behave.

Then next meeting take someone like me, Who, when I get angry, don't care how big of a scene I make in public.

Imp [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: