I've rescued a darling rooster, please help find his family?

chickenkait

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 24, 2014
Richmond, Virginia
Goodmorning, backyard chicken keepers! Yesterday afternoon we found a darling little silkie rooster, wandering around JB Fischer elementary school, just south of the James river in Richmond. All of the parents said he had been there all day, hiding under cars. We have bathed him, and he will get another today. (I have never smelled anything like him!) We are also treating bumblefoot on both feet, and a few other wounds. We are trying to locate his family! If he was abandoned because we cannot keep roosters in Richmond, or because of sickness, we will need to find him a forever home. Please help find somebody to love him? He is just the absolute sweetest little thing!
Thank you so much!

Welcome to BYC.

Sad to say, but I doubt he was left on accident. Many people set them "free" when they can't keep a rooster. If I'm wrong your best bet is to post in a Virginia thread under the where are you where am I section. If you don't find his family you may at least find a new family in that area. Good luck. Glad you found him and are taking care of him for the time being, that's very thoughtful of you.

I'm sure he is very appreciative of all the care your giving him. He's one lucky rooster.

I can't remember who it was, but a little while ago I talked to someone about a resident rooster they had. It hung around their neighborhood for over 7 years. I can't believe it survived that long all on it's own. People can be so cruel.

Oh, wow! That is a sort of sweet story! I bet people put scraps out for him :)

Some neighbours recently reported two large bobcats very close to where we live. We also have skunks, raccoons, opossums, snakes, cats, and dogs.

He was hiding under cars, in the bus loop, at pick up time. Nobody was slowing down for me- I can't imagine that he would have made it out okay :c Kids were chasing him and he was just darting from one car to the other. It's so sad, because he is the chilliest chicken. He just lays about and clicks his little beak while I talk to him. I think he is glad for friendly company :)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction :) I posted there this morning. Anxiously awaiting a reply. I believe a found a home for him if we don't find his family. She actually lived a few doors down from here for 23 years! The internet is a fun place :) He would be a pet, not food!

Back
Top Bottom