I've run out of chick feed!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SusanH, Apr 16, 2009.

1. SusanH

SusanH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    upstate SC
    The TSC has been out for the past 5 days. They were supposed to get some today but it didn't arrive. I had a small amount left, but now it's gone. My chicks are hungry!

Hubby said I can give them grits...is this ok?

Help!!!

2. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    I boil eggs and mash them up for mine. I've also heard of folks feeding raw oatmeal, but I'm not sure if the grits would puff up in them or not.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

SusanH,
    How old are they?

Imp/Russ

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Thaw out some frozen veggies, make them a bowl of oatmeal, give them some yogurt and go to a different store tomorrow.

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Cooked oatmeal, cooked grits, cooked eggs, etc (just add some chick grit to it) should be better then nothing for a few days. You also could try getting some grower mash feed (if pellets only put in blender to make smaller).

6. SusanH

Mar 31, 2009
    upstate SC
    They are 4 weeks old. I took out the grits (I guess they ate on it about 5 minutes or so, then scrambled a couple eggs and gave them to the chicks. They ate it all up!

I hope I didn't do anything that would harm them!

I've got to locate another feed store tomorrow, as I cannot let TSC be my only place to buy.

7. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:I ran out last year and my uncle, who has had chickens all his life, said giving them raw grits for a day or two won't hurt them one bit. [​IMG]

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I think 4 weeks is old enough for just about anything. For some reason I had a braincell die and thought you had like 5 day old chicks. Guess I should read the posts more thoroughly. Good Luck.

Imp

9. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I have done the oatmeal thing. cooked or uncooked. They liked it.

10. SusanH

Mar 31, 2009
    upstate SC
    Russ,

I didn't post their age originally. I was too frantic! I just ran out of feed this evening, and the TSC has said for the past 2 days their truck was "coming tomorrow". GRRRR!!!!

This time I'll buy a 50 pound bag and get more when it's 1/3 empty.

Thanks for all the ideas on the food. I think I'll cook them some oatmeal now.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by