I've very strange chickens!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DarleneE, Feb 26, 2014.

1. DarleneE

DarleneE Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    I have two hens, about 8 weeks old. A Barred Rock and an Ameraucana. I've tried giving them a few treats so I can get them used to coming to me when I start letting them go into the yard. But they don't like anything?? I tried cheese and raisins and they didn't like either.... I also tried some yogurt too!! I don't know why they won't eat these things that everyone has suggested I give them. The only thing I found that they LOVE are meal worms!!?? Isn't this kinda odd that they don't like all these treats??

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Try scrambled eggs. Try millet (little seeds in bird feed). These are the treats I find chicks like instantly.

Oh and rice too.

3. DarleneE

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    Will try! Thank you!

4. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    My babies also went nuts for small garden worms.

Have you tried these treats from a bowl or dish or only from your hand? If you only tried from the hand you may want to start with them in some kind of container till they get used to them then try hand feeding the treat

Also try putting some meal worms in a small amount of yogurt, see if they finish off the yogurt after eating the worms.

the first time i fed mealworms the girls were more interested in the rolled oats that came along with the mealworms, until they tried the meal worms that is then it was on mealworm wise.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  5. DarleneE

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    Aaah that's a great idea! I shall try the meal worms in a little yogurt! I've tried putting these things in their coop (they're in a temp indoor coop still cause their outside one isn't finished yet) and they still won't eat them. Tried tossing them onto the floor of the coop where they see it.. Tried everything. The only thing the went nuts over were the meal worms! They do eat out of my hand and Daisy even seemed to respond to the sound of my shaking the container with the meal worms along with me calling out. "Chick chick chick"!! Olivia did not.. however that's ok cause wherever Daisy is Olivia will follow!! Plus it's soon yet as I've just started this! Wish I'd started this from when they were even smaller. Thanks for all the help!!

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Chickens, especially very young ones like yours, are very reluctant to try new things without the cue from older chickens who will signal to them what's good to eat and what's bad for them. This is usually the role of a broody hen.

So you need to teach them by repetition. Choose a treat and offer it to them. Be patient. Do it again the next day at the same time of day from the exact same container. It may take a while for one of them to be brave enough to try it, then they'll all jump on it.

Rather than offering them a lot of different treats, try limiting it to one at a time until they've become enthusiastic over it. Then introduce something else new. Chicks are a lot like toddlers when it comes to new foods. Both are huge skeptics and need time to get used to something they've never seen before.

7. DarleneE

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    Thank you so much. You know that all makes perfect sense! I will follow your advice!! :)))

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Very true.. Once they are used to 3 different foods, I find they will try pretty much anything you offer.

9. ccabal

ccabal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    Yes, totally agree about young chickens being picky. When I first got my chicks there were many things they were reluctant to eat. I would find various bugs and worms in the garden, and give it ti them, and they would be very cautious, and sometimes not even try to eat them. But as they got older they got more adventurous. Now they are voracious grub, worm, and bug eaters, and try almost anything I throw in their coop.

10. DarleneE

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    Isn't that amazing?? They're SO smart!! They are just like kids it seems!! They're so funny and so much fun to watch!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by