Ivermax Equine Paste Dewormer/ Safe?/Effective/???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tiki244, Mar 13, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Ivermectin 1.87% will this work for worms in chickens? I bought this before I saw the post about only using Ivomec for cattle but am wondering how this would do?

2. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    bump! We need to know the answer to this too.

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    I can not find the link now but have read several places that you must not use this on chickens...

4. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:Interesting question. Do you remember any of the reasons? It appears that Ivomec might be a broader based wormer containing ivermectin and w/v clorulon if I read the lable correctly.

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The reason is that it's hard to know how much to dose. I do know of someone who has used it for years as a wormer for her birds. She has a website where she explains what she does with the paste and I have used her method one time, but since then decided that Eprinex Pour On is probably easier to dose and with no real withdrawal, at least that I infer from the "no meat, no milk" withdrawal, since its a cattle wormer.

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Previously DuckLady! Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I used the paste. I squeezed out a one inch strip and put it in a pint jar of hot water. I let it sit overnight to dissolve and poured it into a one gallon waterer. Filled the waterer and swished it good to mix and that was the only water source for my chickens for 3 days. I confined them to the barn. HTey were not happy, but it was raining, so they would have been hunkered down in there anyway. [​IMG]
    I did a 4 week withdrawal time, which worked good as they were not laying much anyway, so it really turned into a 6 or 7 week period.

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    well I am glad to hear that someone else has used it and I think I get the general idea as to how to use it now! Thanks [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's definitely TONS cheaper than Eprinex to buy, although the Pour On lasts a long time.

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:yes thats why I bought it and I had thought I looked it over pretty good to make sure there wasnt anything harmful in it.

speaking of cheaper----I just bought some really expensive cat litter--I bought a new bag of oyster shell for the chickens and one of the cats decided to get inside the bag and use for a handy dandy litter box rather than qalk the xtra 20 steps to the bathroom where her litter box is [​IMG] Back to the feed store I go!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by