Ivermectin 0.08% sheep drench for mites & lice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bbeak, Feb 8, 2014.

1. bbeak

bbeak New Egg

Feb 8, 2014
    Hi,
    I have been searching high and low on this wonderful forum and several other for dose recommendations for treating a hen with lice and mites. I have Duravet Ivermectin Sheep Drench 0.08% ivermectin oral solution. I was planning apply the drops to the back of her neck and am really confused about dosage because most folks seems to have the injectable (1%) cattle ivermectin. Has anyone used the 0.08% ivermectin for mite treatment? how many drops did you use?
    thanks very much,
    Gina

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I haven't used Ivermectin but if you have working breed dogs be aware that it can cause paralysis, coma, deafness and blindness, and death in them. Some dogs carry a gene mutation which is hypersensitive to Ivermectin due to them experiencing multigenerational exposure after it's used on them, poultry, sheep, horses, cattle and so forth. Even a minute amount can kill a sensitive dog and dogs tested negative for the mutated genes can still develop the reaction and die.

For poultry I use raw freshly cut or crushed garlic every week and over time the sulfur levels build up and kill the parasites from the inside out. But that takes time and for a serious infestation it may be worth more serious measures if the animal's life is at stake. Personally I'd still use something like sulfur externally, but do whatever you feel is right of course. Best wishes with that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by