Ivermectin dosage?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by PrinceSandwich, Aug 10, 2010.

1. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    I want to worm/de-mite my flock with pour on ivermectin. I did it once before and I think the dosage was .5cc for a standard and half that for a bantam. But what if you have a really big standard or a really small bantam? I know if you put on to much it can kill them, and if you don't put enough on, the mites and get immune to it. I've also heard that you put like 5-6 drops on a standard and 3 for a bantam [​IMG] I also have a Turkey how much do I put on him? I'm confused!

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    we always use 5 for biggies and 2-3 for bantams, never heard of lice/ mites grown immune to it...

3. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:So that would be 5 drops directly on the neck? And then repeat in 2 weeks?

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Quote:So that would be 5 drops directly on the neck? And then repeat in 2 weeks?

2 weeks??? we only do it twice a year, early spring and early autumn... seems to last that long, but we spray the coop every 3 weeks in spring and summer.

back base of neck, directly on the skin.

5. PrinceSandwich

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada

2 weeks??? we only do it twice a year, early spring and early autumn... seems to last that long, but we spray the coop every 3 weeks in spring and summer.

I ment treat them, then treat them again in 2 weeks, and then wait 6 months to do it again. I don't mean do it every 2 weeks.
    I thought you had to do that because 2 weeks was a mites whole life stage ( from egg to adult), so if you only treated them once, in 2 weeks the eggs that are still on the bird could hatch, and re infect. Is that right?

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I have a powder form. How is that administered and don't you have to throw the eggs away for two weeks. That's alot of eggs. Treated twice that would mean a month worth of eggs. OMG! There has got to be an easier treatment.

7. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:2 weeks??? we only do it twice a year, early spring and early autumn... seems to last that long, but we spray the coop every 3 weeks in spring and summer.

I ment treat them, then treat them again in 2 weeks, and then wait 6 months to do it again. I don't mean do it every 2 weeks.
    I thought you had to do that because 2 weeks was a mites whole life stage ( from egg to adult), so if you only treated them once, in 2 weeks the eggs that are still on the bird could hatch, and re infect. Is that right?

From what I understand, Ivermectin kills all stages of lice/mites and worms, so there's no need to reapply. There's no harm if you do, but there's no need. I read that the Ivermectin stays on the skin for a few days, too.

Technically you don't need to withdrawl from egg consumption because Ivermectin is used in humans for treatment of worms. I still don't eat the eggs for 2 weeks because I worry about the possibility of a worm expelled from the digestive tract making it's way up the reproductive tract and getting incorported into an egg. [​IMG]

I use 0.5cc for standards, 0.25 for bantams and will adjust a little higher with very large birds or a little lower with young birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by