Ivermectin- Ever used it?

joe17

Songster
11 Years
Nov 25, 2009
Louisiana
Is ivermectin used as a preventative or to cure an outbreak? I will be buying the pour on kind for my silkies. I have think I have lice going around. I have dusted the heck out of them but want to make sure I the parasites hard. Does tractor supply have ivermectin? What is it labeled as? I hear its just for cow and pigs and not necessarily chickens. Has anyone used ivermectin? Any comments or tips about it?

Also, does can sevin dust cure an outbreak?

Quote:
Thank you! I will definitely be going to tractor supply and getting the pour on. How often can you do that? I would like to do it before and after the poultry shows. I am going look on the tractor supply website. I want to make sure I am getting the right ivermectin. There seem to be so many different ones!

Hi,

I use the 1% injectable. I give each bird 1/10 of a cc in their breast region. This ensure it getting into the bloodstream and it's an exact dose. It works for about 4-5 wks and then I redose them again. If you have an infestation though I find that you should dose them at day one and then again at day 14. Then you can go with every 4-5 weeks. This is just my opinion and I'm not a vet or anything but, it has worked for me over the years just for lice and mites. I've been recently turned onto another wormer for internal worms.

Good luck!
Beth
smile.png

Quote:
Thank you! I will definitely be going to tractor supply and getting the pour on. How often can you do that? I would like to do it before and after the poultry shows. I am going look on the tractor supply website. I want to make sure I am getting the right ivermectin. There seem to be so many different ones!

Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/Durvet-Iverme...-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1319721196&sr=1-1-catcorr This is the brand I use. TSC has it. I guess its the generic kind. I've been told it lasts about 6 weeks. I use it after the poultry show, once I get them home.

.25 cc or a little bit more for the silkies. Never had any overdose.

Quote:
I had the same issue with the silkies I got. I put 3-5 drops (depending on if they were smaller or bigger) of the pour on Ivermectin from TSC near the bottom of the back of their necks, and dusted the floor of the pen with Sevin. It took care of the problem quickly.

Oh ETA - do it again in about 10-12 days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom