Ivermectin for mites & lice...not worms

Kemical Fenix

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 17, 2016
Las Vegas
Hello all, I've read through plenty of old threads/posts on this topic but still have a few questions.
1. My local feed store had only the 1% injectable form, I know it can be given orally or actual injection, but will putting this form on the skin also absorb like the pour on solution?

2. If not, is there something I can mix it with that will allow for absorption via skin?

3. Did/does it work for lice in addition to mites?

4. Was/Is it necessary to do a second application(with any delivery method) after 10 days or so?

I'm mostly interested in personal experiences or those of people you may know...anecdotal if you will. I know it's not approved for chickens, should do egg "withdrawal" for a week or 2 after dosing, etc. Any info/input on this would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

Hello all, I've read through plenty of old threads/posts on this topic but still have a few questions.
1. My local feed store had only the 1% injectable form, I know it can be given orally or actual injection, but will putting this form on the skin also absorb like the pour on solution?

2. If not, is there something I can mix it with that will allow for absorption via skin?

3. Did/does it work for lice in addition to mites?

4. Was/Is it necessary to do a second application(with any delivery method) after 10 days or so?

I'm mostly interested in personal experiences or those of people you may know...anecdotal if you will. I know it's not approved for chickens, should do egg "withdrawal" for a week or 2 after dosing, etc. Any info/input on this would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

I have used the 1% injectable and the 1.87% paste orally for lice, but not mites. Orally with either, lice are gone in 24-72 hours. I have read about people using both the injectable and paste topically, but I have no idea how well it works.

When I give it orally so far there has been no need to re-treat in 10 days with any of mine.

Last edited:
I used both liquid and paste, by mouth. Did not work at all for mites for me but I made a wowzer of a discovery that the chickens also had round worms the next day..

Couldn't say about the lice, I did not have those on the chickens.
I DO have them on budgies (they came in on a pair of tumbler pigeons, urgh!)
Since they are feather lice and not blood suckers the only way of getting rid of them is by spraying something like pymethrin where they like hiding, generally under wings/on wings.

Last edited:
I used both liquid and paste, by mouth.  Did not work at all for mites for me but I made a wowzer of a discovery that the chickens also had round worms the next day..

Since they are feather lice and not blood suckers the only way of getting rid of them is by spraying something like pymethrin where they like hiding, generally under wings/on wings.

Ivermectin will treat poultry lice. I used to think it wouldn't, but trust me, it does. :D

Ivermectin will treat poultry lice. I used to think it wouldn't, but trust me, it does.
big_smile.png
Are poultry lice are different than feather lice? It's good to know that it will treat poultry lice, just in case :D

@Kemical Fenix , just for grins I found a rooster with body lice and applied 1% topically. Will let you know in 2-3 days if it worked.
big_smile.png

I used both liquid and paste, by mouth.  Did not work at all for mites for me but I made a wowzer of a discovery that the chickens also had round worms the next day..

Yeah, thats strange cause mites are the 1 thing it should definitely work for. I'm thinking you didn't use enough or I've read that you need to mix with propylene glycol when given orally!?

Quote: I know someone that just gave their chicken the horse paste orally and it did not treat mites. Might be because mites are becoming resistant to many chemicals? The 1% or the horse paste orally does treat lice, and the 1% topically also treats lice. No need to mix either with anything.

Back
Top Bottom