Ivermectin ? Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coonriver, Jul 1, 2011.

1. coonriver

coonriver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Sac City,Iowa
    I went to the vets office today to get some ivermectin and was wondering what color it is? the stuff i got is blue and he said it's the pour on type.it also says Pro B on the bottle.just checking to see if he gave me the right stuff or not.i am using it on a few chickens for leg mites.Mike

2. cjexotic

cjexotic Cj's Mandarin Ducks

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    Quote:Hi,

You could have got it at your feed store or tractor supply.. no vet needed.
    You need the kind that is injectable 1% this can be given via a mouth (just a few drops from a syringe), drops at the shoulder blades.
    Can use the pour on and put a few drops on the feet and rub in or under the wings were there is less feathers.
    Mine is clear. I bought some pour on but have not opened it yet. so don' t know the color of it.

cj

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Ivermectin pour-on is blue. and all you need to do is rub it on the skin on the legs. also you can use it with a dropper and put drops on the neck[skin] of the birds it will kill any lice or mites they may have will also worm for internal parasites.

4. cjexotic

cjexotic Cj's Mandarin Ducks

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    Quote:I just bought pour on myself.. never used it before. How many drops do you use on the feet and legs or back of neck per bird? Thanks cj

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I just bought pour on myself.. never used it before. How many drops do you use on the feet and legs or back of neck per bird? Thanks cj

Using too much ivermectin pour on such as on the legs AND the neck can cause overdose and possible organ problems. Here are the proper dosages at this link for ivermectin pour on, see post #3 for how many drops used per size of the chicken. I recommend just putting the drops on the legs instead of the neck.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=172967&p=1

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by