Ivermectin Oral PASTE??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by d.k, Apr 17, 2008.

1. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* The only Ivermectin I could find otc locally was a 1.87% oral paste syringe for horses. Cost 5 bucks. Any thoughts on how to dilute this down to Miss Chook's dose?? Maybe just put a tiny dab of it on her skin? Or, stick a toothpick in and stir the pick through her food? The feed store only had stratch & pellets for chickens-- and the only other livestock stuff was feed in monster bags. The place is nearly 1OO% 'HORSEY'!!!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  2. ChickadeeLover

ChickadeeLover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    I have never given it to chickens but for one of my rats I just gave it to her on a treat. And for my horses you put the tube in their mouth and give it to them like that. Hopefully some more in the know will come along to help you! good luck!

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Thanks, CL-- Did you use the horse product? And, if so, how did you break down the dose for something as small as a rat??

4. ChickadeeLover

Apr 7, 2008
    Yes horse product, And about the size if a grain of rice [​IMG]

5. ChickadeeLover

Apr 7, 2008
    Oh and one a week for a few weeks (3-4?)

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I have never used Ivermectin on poultry. There are some better alternatives I think, like piperazine. With the weight differential between horses and poultry I'd be very very careful.

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by