Ivermectin poisoning

Duck Drover

Songster
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Washington
I was looking at a bird site trying to figure out how much Ivermectin a chicken can tolerate over a short period of time and I found this on a bird site:

Signs Of Ivermectin Poisoning
The clinical signs of Ivermectin poisoning are:

excessive dilatation of the pupil of the eye
lethargy
stupor
coma
tremors
loss of coordination of the muscles, especially of the extremities (ataxia)
vomiting (emesis)
drooling
death

Less visible symptoms:

depression
tachycardia (fast pulse)
blood pressure fluctuation

Although it was posted on a bird site, the "drooling" sign has me wondering if it does pertain to chickens or if it was generalized from signs in dogs. The bird in question was a budgie and it was being treated by a vet. Everything else just stated that overdose causes death but I could not find anything related to the onset of symptoms or if there was a chance of survival once the bird was poisoned.

When I use the pour on for cattle, I use the dosage measure cup on the small $20 bottle (I pour the liquid into the smaller bottle from the bigger $50 bottle) set at the lowest possible setting. I have not measured in drops or used a cc syringe so I am not sure exactly how much I use but it should be a strong dose. I know that the mites have to bite the chicken to be effected and that new hatches of eggs have to hatch and feed on the chicken in order to die and break the cycle. I was under the impression that it only needed to be used every six months so I treated the beginning of October and again the beginning of April. I have not done a secomd dose because I thought there would still be a strong enough dose to kill anything that hatched after the first dose. Do I need to treat all the birds I treated a week ago or will the dose I gave them be enough to kill any mites that find their way to my birds?

When I treated in October I also used DE in the coop but I did not use it in April because I have asthma and I don't want to breathe the dust or cause respiratory problems in my birds. I still have some DE left over so I can use it in combination if that would eliminate the need for any further ivermectin treatment or I can treat with ivermectin again but I don't want to poison my birds. When I used DE on my Silkies they were sneezing and I was afraid they were sick until I read that the dust causes irritation that causes sneezing. I know some people dust their Silkies with DE on a regular basis but I decided to let them use dirt like my other chickens.

Has anyone experienced or witnessed ivermectin poisoning in chickens? If a bird has been poisoned and is showing signs, is there a chance it will survive? If the pour on kills mites immediately, I am assuming an overdose would also show up right away, especially if the bird was also stressed and/or overheated. If other dusting agents are used on a chicken showing signs of poisoning, will it cause further problems or is it safe to use topicals since the ivermectin is absorbed into the skin?

For those that want to safely use ivermectin in the future:
  • The pour-on dose is .1ml per 2.2 pounds (.5mg/kg). Pour on only.
  • The 1% injectable dose is .02ml per 2.2 pounds (.2mg/kg). This can be injected or given orally.

An average sized RIR hen weighs 2.9kg, so she would get:
  • .29ml of the pour on
  • .058ml of the 1% injectable

-Kathy

Edited to add:
Let me know if there is an error in my math!
Good information for those insistent upon using Ivermectin. Why they insist upon it is still baffling. It really serves no purpose for poultry and there are much safer and more effective alternatives.

Good information for those insistent upon using Ivermectin. Why they insist upon it is still baffling. It really serves no purpose for poultry and there are much safer and more effective alternatives.
I'm having fun making lice swim in it, lol, but have seen enough evidence to convince me that it's completely useless in poultry.

-Kathy

I gotta ask, did any of you look at the links Dawg posted?

-Kathy

Yes I did and have bookmarked it. Activated coal or Epsom salts in case of poisoning, though it's probably too late. I would not eat eggs from a chicken that had been treated with ivermectin . We use it on our cows, but our cows are 700 kg and have very tough hides. Not at all similar to a chicken. We once switched wormers for our goats and lost one of our does 2 days later. Back to what we trust , panacur ( safeguard )
Don't let it get to you dawg, your information on wormers is not lost on everyone.

20 year old chickens? Better call Guinness!

World's Oldest Living Chicken

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matilda_(chicken)
Matilda (chicken)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Matilda
Born​
Died​
February 11, 2006 (aged 16-17)
Known for​
World's oldest Chicken
Matilda (1990 – February 11, 2006) was a fourteen-ounce hen, and the first chicken to receive the title of World's Oldest Living Chicken from Guinness World Records. She is thought to have been descended from the Red Pyle color variation of the Old English Game breed. She was a pet of Keith and Donna Barton of Bessemer, Alabama, a suburb of Birmingham, Alabama.
Matilda's name was taken from "Waltzing Matilda", an old Australian folk song, and given to her as a result of her penchant for stepping side to side (as if she were waltzing) against the wire panels on the sides of her cage.[1] Unlike most hens, Matilda never produced eggs. Her veterinarians believed Matilda's lack of egg production contributed significantly to her extraordinarily long lifespan of sixteen years.[2]
Another contributing factor to Matilda's longevity was her having lived the majority of her life indoors, inside a large wire cage, where she enjoyed a stable, protected environment year-round.[3]

Contents

[hide]

Magic career[edit]

On October 19, 1990, Keith and Donna went to the Alabama State Fairgrounds in Fairfield, Alabama, and paid $10.00 to purchase Matilda from Steve Shaffield of Warrior, Alabama.
Under the stage names of Mort The Mystifying and Donna, Keith and Donna were pursuing their goal of becoming professional magicians, and Matilda was part of their plan. On June 5, 1991, she made her debut performance in Keith's and Donna's magic show.[4]
To make Matilda magically appear, Keith would produce an egg from two cardboard tubes, which were shown empty and then nested one inside the other. After cracking the egg, dropping its contents into an empty pan, and adding a few drops of hot sauce, Keith would place the lid on the pan and immediately lift the lid to reveal Matilda in all her glory. Her magic career would span well over a decade.
Celebrity status[edit]

World's Oldest Living Chicken[edit]

Guinness World Records (London, England)
Considering that the average lifespan of a chicken is generally no more than seven to eight years, Keith and Donna contacted Guinness World Records on July 30, 2001, to make them aware that Matilda was eleven years old and still in excellent health.
Guinness World Records responded that Matilda's age had to be substantiated. Keith and Donna began completing forms and gathering documentation, which were forwarded directly to Guinness World Records.
On April 27, 2004, Guinness World Records proclaimed fourteen-year-old Matilda to be World's Oldest Living Chicken.[5][6] Keith and Donna were presented with a congratulatory letter and official certificate from Guinness World Records.
Matilda's title of World's Oldest Living Chicken is recorded in the data banks at Guinness World Records, but has not been included in their books or on their Web site.
The Tonight Show[edit]

Following their appearance on The Tonight Show; Keith, Donna, and Matilda pose with Jay Leno. (September 2004)
NBC Universal Studios (Burbank, California)
As a direct result of Matilda’s receiving the title of World's Oldest Living Chicken; she, Keith, and Donna were guests of Jay Leno on The Tonight Show in an episode that taped and aired on September 9, 2004.[7] Also appearing on the show were Terry Bradshaw, Jim Brown and Howie Long. Musical guests were Kirk Franklin and Yolanda Adams.
A veteran of the stage, Matilda was perfectly at ease in front of the studio audience. Much to their delight, she strutted on top of Jay's desk, nibbled breadcrumbs, played with her favorite toy, and did a well-received impersonation of the NBC peacock. [8] [9]
Ambassador of good will[edit]

After returning home from The Tonight Show, Matilda began putting her celebrity status to use by becoming an ambassador of good will and appearing as an honored guest at numerous charitable events in Birmingham, Alabama, including:
Olivia Bearden Award[edit]

Greater Birmingham Humane Society (Birmingham, Alabama)
On September 22, 2005, the Greater Birmingham Humane Society held their annual awards luncheon at The Club in Birmingham, Alabama. The Olivia Bearden Award, which recognizes the specific service of an animal to another living creature (man or animal), was presented to Matilda.[14] Magically appearing to accept her award, Matilda perched proudly on top of the plaque as it was held by Keith.[15][16]
Declining health and demise[edit]

Due to age-related health problems, Matilda retired from show business on October 17, 2005, and died, at the age of sixteen, on February 11, 2006.[17][18] From the time she received the title of World's Oldest Living Chicken, Matilda lived one year, nine months, and fifteen days.
Final resting place[edit]

Locating a final resting place for Matilda has proven a challenge. Keith and Donna would prefer Matilda be interred in a place of honor in Alabama, but none has yet been located. Hartsdale Pet Cemetery in Hartsdale, New York is being considered.[19] Until a decision is reached, Matilda is being kept in frozen storage.
Posthumous honors[edit]

Broken Perch Ceremony[edit]

Southeastern Association of Magicians
Ring 35 of the International Brotherhood of Magicians (Birmingham, Alabama)
To honor Matilda's contributions to the world of magic, a Broken Perch Ceremony was conducted on Saturday, August 5, 2006. The ceremony, which was held at the Hilton Birmingham Perimeter Park Hotel in Birmingham, Alabama, was hosted by the Southeastern Association of Magicians and Ring 35 of the International Brotherhood of Magicians. Ring 35 is also known as the Magic City Magic Club and Judge Arnold Drennen Ring.[20]
Based on the Broken Wand Ceremony, which was initially performed in 1926 at the funeral of Harry Houdini, the Broken Perch Ceremony for Matilda was a first in magic. Never before had a magician's animal been formally recognized and honored by the magic community.
Bob Sanders, President of Ring 35, officiated at the ceremony; Jacque Meyer, Executive Director of the Greater Birmingham Humane Society, delivered the eulogy; and Bill Pitts, Past President of the International Brotherhood Of Magicians, conducted the Broken Perch ritual. In honor of Matilda's many accomplishments, Bob Sanders presented Keith and Donna with a Commendation, which had been drafted by Alabama Governor Bob Riley.
Alabama Animal Hall of Fame[edit]

Alabama Veterinary Medical Association (Montgomery, Alabama)
The Alabama Veterinary Medical Association inducted Matilda into the Alabama Animal Hall of Fame on September 9, 2006, at a black tie dinner, which was held at Embassy Suites Montgomery Hotel in Montgomery, Alabama. The ceremony was exactly two years to the date on which Matilda had appeared on The Tonight Show. Two dogs, Gucci and Muffin, were also inducted.[21][22]

Last edited:
20 year old chickens? Better call Guinness!

World's Oldest Living Chicken

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matilda_(chicken)
Matilda (chicken)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: [COLOR=0066CC]navigation[/COLOR], [COLOR=0066CC]search[/COLOR]
[TR]
[TH]Matilda[/TH]​
[/TR] [TR]
[TD] [/TD]​
[/TR] [TR]
[TH]Born[/TH]​
[TD]1990[/TD] [/TR] [TR]
[TH]Died[/TH]​
[TD]February 11, 2006 (aged 16-17)[/TD] [/TR] [TR]
[TH]Known for[/TH]​
[TD]World's oldest Chicken[/TD] [/TR]
Matilda (1990 – February 11, 2006) was a fourteen-ounce [COLOR=0066CC]hen[/COLOR], and the first [COLOR=0066CC]chicken[/COLOR] to receive the title of World's Oldest Living Chicken from Guinness World Records. She is thought to have been descended from the Red Pyle color variation of the [COLOR=0066CC]Old English Game[/COLOR] breed. She was a pet of Keith and Donna Barton of [COLOR=0066CC]Bessemer, Alabama[/COLOR], a suburb of [COLOR=0066CC]Birmingham, Alabama[/COLOR]. Matilda's name was taken from "[COLOR=0066CC]Waltzing Matilda[/COLOR]", an old Australian folk song, and given to her as a result of her penchant for stepping side to side (as if she were waltzing) against the wire panels on the sides of her cage.[SUP][COLOR=0066CC][1][/COLOR][/SUP] Unlike most hens, Matilda never produced eggs. Her veterinarians believed Matilda's lack of egg production contributed significantly to her extraordinarily long lifespan of sixteen years.[SUP][COLOR=0066CC][2][/COLOR][/SUP] Another contributing factor to Matilda's longevity was her having lived the majority of her life indoors, inside a large wire cage, where she enjoyed a stable, protected environment year-round.[SUP][COLOR=0066CC][3][/COLOR][/SUP]
Contents

[[COLOR=0066CC]hide[/COLOR]] Magic career[[COLOR=0066CC]edit[/COLOR]]

On October 19, 1990, Keith and Donna went to the [COLOR=0066CC]Alabama State Fairgrounds[/COLOR] in [COLOR=0066CC]Fairfield, Alabama[/COLOR], and paid $10.00 to purchase Matilda from Steve Shaffield of [COLOR=0066CC]Warrior, Alabama[/COLOR]. Under the stage names of [COLOR=0066CC]Mort The Mystifying and Donna[/COLOR], Keith and Donna were pursuing their goal of becoming professional [COLOR=0066CC]magicians[/COLOR], and Matilda was part of their plan. On June 5, 1991, she made her debut performance in Keith's and Donna's magic show.[SUP][COLOR=0066CC][4][/COLOR][/SUP] To make Matilda magically appear, Keith would produce an egg from two cardboard tubes, which were shown empty and then nested one inside the other. After cracking the egg, dropping its contents into an empty pan, and adding a few drops of hot sauce, Keith would place the lid on the pan and immediately lift the lid to reveal Matilda in all her glory. Her magic career would span well over a decade.
Celebrity status[[COLOR=0066CC]edit[/COLOR]]

World's Oldest Living Chicken[[COLOR=0066CC]edit[/COLOR]]

Guinness World Records (London, England) Considering that the average lifespan of a chicken is generally no more than seven to eight years, Keith and Donna contacted [COLOR=0066CC]Guinness World Records[/COLOR] on July 30, 2001, to make them aware that Matilda was eleven years old and still in excellent health. Guinness World Records responded that Matilda's age had to be substantiated. Keith and Donna began completing forms and gathering documentation, which were forwarded directly to Guinness World Records. On April 27, 2004, Guinness World Records proclaimed fourteen-year-old Matilda to be World's Oldest Living Chicken.[SUP][COLOR=0066CC][5][/COLOR][/SUP][SUP][COLOR=0066CC][6][/COLOR][/SUP] Keith and Donna were presented with a congratulatory letter and official certificate from Guinness World Records. Matilda's title of World's Oldest Living Chicken is recorded in the data banks at Guinness World Records, but has not been included in their books or on their [COLOR=0066CC]Web site[/COLOR].
The Tonight Show[[COLOR=0066CC]edit[/COLOR]]

Following their appearance on The Tonight Show; Keith, Donna, and Matilda pose with Jay Leno. (September 2004)
NBC Universal Studios (Burbank, California) As a direct result of Matilda’s receiving the title of World's Oldest Living Chicken; she, Keith, and Donna were guests of [COLOR=0066CC]Jay Leno[/COLOR] on [COLOR=0066CC]The Tonight Show[/COLOR] in an episode that taped and aired on September 9, 2004.[SUP][COLOR=0066CC][7][/COLOR][/SUP] Also appearing on the show were [COLOR=0066CC]Terry Bradshaw[/COLOR], [COLOR=0066CC]Jim Brown[/COLOR] and [COLOR=0066CC]Howie Long[/COLOR]. Musical guests were [COLOR=0066CC]Kirk Franklin[/COLOR] and [COLOR=0066CC]Yolanda Adams[/COLOR]. A veteran of the stage, Matilda was perfectly at ease in front of the studio audience. Much to their delight, she strutted on top of Jay's desk, nibbled breadcrumbs, played with her favorite toy, and did a well-received impersonation of the [COLOR=0066CC]NBC[/COLOR] peacock. [SUP][COLOR=0066CC][8][/COLOR][/SUP][SUP][COLOR=0066CC][9][/COLOR][/SUP]
Ambassador of good will[[COLOR=0066CC]edit[/COLOR]]

After returning home from The Tonight Show, Matilda began putting her celebrity status to use by becoming an ambassador of good will and appearing as an honored guest at numerous charitable events in Birmingham, Alabama, including: Olivia Bearden Award[[COLOR=0066CC]edit[/COLOR]]

Greater Birmingham Humane Society (Birmingham, Alabama) On September 22, 2005, the [COLOR=0066CC]Greater Birmingham Humane Society[/COLOR] held their annual awards luncheon at [COLOR=0066CC]The Club[/COLOR] in Birmingham, Alabama. The Olivia Bearden Award, which recognizes the specific service of an animal to another living creature (man or animal), was presented to Matilda.[SUP][COLOR=0066CC][14][/COLOR][/SUP] Magically appearing to accept her award, Matilda perched proudly on top of the plaque as it was held by Keith.[SUP][COLOR=0066CC][15][/COLOR][/SUP][SUP][COLOR=0066CC][16][/COLOR][/SUP]
Declining health and demise[[COLOR=0066CC]edit[/COLOR]]

Due to age-related health problems, Matilda retired from show business on October 17, 2005, and died, at the age of sixteen, on February 11, 2006.[SUP][COLOR=0066CC][17][/COLOR][/SUP][SUP][COLOR=0066CC][18][/COLOR][/SUP] From the time she received the title of World's Oldest Living Chicken, Matilda lived one year, nine months, and fifteen days.
Final resting place[[COLOR=0066CC]edit[/COLOR]]

Locating a final resting place for Matilda has proven a challenge. Keith and Donna would prefer Matilda be interred in a place of honor in Alabama, but none has yet been located. [COLOR=0066CC]Hartsdale Pet Cemetery[/COLOR] in [COLOR=0066CC]Hartsdale, New York[/COLOR] is being considered.[SUP][COLOR=0066CC][19][/COLOR][/SUP] Until a decision is reached, Matilda is being kept in frozen storage.
Posthumous honors[[COLOR=0066CC]edit[/COLOR]]

Broken Perch Ceremony[[COLOR=0066CC]edit[/COLOR]]

Southeastern Association of Magicians Ring 35 of the International Brotherhood of Magicians (Birmingham, Alabama) To honor Matilda's contributions to the world of magic, a Broken Perch Ceremony was conducted on Saturday, August 5, 2006. The ceremony, which was held at the [COLOR=0066CC]Hilton Birmingham Perimeter Park Hotel[/COLOR] in Birmingham, Alabama, was hosted by the Southeastern Association of Magicians and [COLOR=0066CC]Ring 35[/COLOR] of the [COLOR=0066CC]International Brotherhood of Magicians[/COLOR]. Ring 35 is also known as the Magic City Magic Club and Judge Arnold Drennen Ring.[SUP][COLOR=0066CC][20][/COLOR][/SUP] Based on the [COLOR=0066CC]Broken Wand Ceremony[/COLOR], which was initially performed in 1926 at the funeral of [COLOR=0066CC]Harry Houdini[/COLOR], the Broken Perch Ceremony for Matilda was a first in magic. Never before had a magician's animal been formally recognized and honored by the magic community. Bob Sanders, President of Ring 35, officiated at the ceremony; Jacque Meyer, Executive Director of the Greater Birmingham Humane Society, delivered the eulogy; and Bill Pitts, Past President of the International Brotherhood Of Magicians, conducted the Broken Perch ritual. In honor of Matilda's many accomplishments, Bob Sanders presented Keith and Donna with a Commendation, which had been drafted by Alabama Governor Bob Riley.
Alabama Animal Hall of Fame[[COLOR=0066CC]edit[/COLOR]]

Alabama Veterinary Medical Association (Montgomery, Alabama) The Alabama Veterinary Medical Association inducted Matilda into the Alabama Animal Hall of Fame on September 9, 2006, at a black tie dinner, which was held at [COLOR=0066CC]Embassy Suites Montgomery Hotel[/COLOR] in [COLOR=0066CC]Montgomery, Alabama[/COLOR]. The ceremony was exactly two years to the date on which Matilda had appeared on The Tonight Show. Two dogs, Gucci and Muffin, were also inducted.[SUP][COLOR=0066CC][21][/COLOR][/SUP][SUP][COLOR=0066CC][22][/COLOR][/SUP]
Lol, Kathy you really are the ' mad scientist '.

Good luck with getting relevant info on this subject, it's worth knowing for sure.

I don't personally use chemicals but would assume it's safer for poultry than dogs in general due to the sheer prevalence of people using it regularly on their birds and not reporting mass flock deaths, but as it's likely cumulative over generations, in future I would expect them to become hyper-sensitive to it like some dogs are. Also, people don't tend to cull and replace dogs every two years, so that's something to take into account. ;)

I don't know of anything much you could do to reverse such poisoning because it's not a natural poison so would probably take something unnatural to treat it, i.e. methylchloroisothiazolinone cumulative reactions being treated with chemotherapy and anti-rejection drugs in extreme cases. Bizarre stuff! That was in humans though, don't know what you would use for animals there.

Drooling is one of the standard severe toxicity responses in anything that salivates, so yes, birds would do it too.

Best wishes.

I measured the amount of liquid pour on I am using and it is about a teaspoon but not quite. I don't know how many cc or drops there are in a teaspoon but since I pour it onto the back of the neck between the shoulders, I think some gets on the feathers so not all of it makes it to the skin. I thought one mite treatment is good for 6 months but I am going to do it every 4 months from now on.

If mites are still visible on a chicken after this treatment method, how much more can a chicken take safely and how soon? I would rather a chicken deal with mites than to risk poisoning it by mistake and having it die.

Back
Top Bottom