Ivermectin Pour On or Dusting - Which Do You Prefer For External Parasites?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pkzman, Feb 28, 2012.

1. pkzman

pkzman Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    Monroe, Washington
    Just taking a polling to figure out the best preventative measures. Our GLW had scaly leg mites which I treated with Vaseline and a good coop cleaning. She seems to have responded well, and I am treating over a 2 week period to get any egg hatchings. Can only one bird be affected? The other hens' legs look fine. I was also going to worm with Wazine followed by Valbazen 10 days later, and didn't know if a pour on at the same time would be too hard on them, seeing how it treats for certain internals as well. I'm kinda torn between preventative treatment vs. treating for known issues. A fecal float on the GLW last season also showed a low level (they said a 3 out of 10) for coccidiosis, but they have never showed any signs of illness (all are 9 months old) and my understanding was that birds have some level of cocci/worms/parasites in their systems and that it's only a problem if it gets out of balance (infestation stage). I've read a LOT of threads, but wanted to ask this specific question, and I know there are many varying opinions. [​IMG]

Thanks for any advice!

Z

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I dust. Then you repeat in 10 days. I use Seven Dust or Poultry Dust. It's inexpensive and it works great! If you put some of the powder in a panty hose stocking, you can use it like a powder puff on the whole chicken, so you don't waste much.

3. pkzman

Feb 10, 2012
    Monroe, Washington
    Love the stocking idea Chicmom!

I'll definitely give that a try.

Thanks!

Z

4. pkzman

Feb 10, 2012
    Monroe, Washington
    Anyone else have any thoughts on my original post?

Thanks!

Z

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I used to dust, but these days I use a pour-on. I would never go back! So much easier, and I don't feel like I am covered in toxic dust when I'm done.

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I also use the pour-on. I've yet to see mites on them but I don't see that well anyway. The pour-on also worms them which is the main reason I use it though. My chickens have access to wood ashes to dust bathe in and so long as they have that, I dont' see mites. This fall and winter it was really wet for a month or more. They didnt' have thier wood ashes and I did start seeing mites. So I used Eprinex. It does exactly the same thing as Ivermectin only with no egg or meat withdrawl time.

Your plan for worming sounds great, but I wouldn't use pour-ons at the same time. Dawg swears by Valbazen so that is the best wormer to use.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  7. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    How often do you have to use the pour on? and since it is topical, is there an egg withdrawal period???

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There's normally a 14 day withdrawal period with ivermectin. Ivermectin's primary purpose is a wormer, secondary as a miteacide. Large roundworms are showing resistance to ivermectin and eprinex due to its overuse as a miteacide in CHICKENS. Neither will kill cecal worms in chickens.
    I prefer sevin dust. If you have a chicken with lice/mites, you have to dust the inside of their coop and nests anyway....cant do that with eprinex nor ivermectin. I always wear a mask and old clothes when dusting, piece of cake.

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX

AT the risk of sounding like a complete bottom kisser, Dawg is absolutely right here. If they have mites already you should still dust the coop and everything. I didn't and got away with it, I THINK. I could be wrong.

10. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Thanks for the advice. I wish I would have read this before I used the ivermectin. I am just so very sick of the mites!!!! I have tried dusting with little to no results. I clean the coop and dust everything every two weeks. I dust walls, roosts, nest boxes, everything and still I have mites!

I will dust again and from now on use sevin dust...I didn't want to use anything that needs a withdrawal period, shoot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by