Ivermectin Withdrawl Time??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by purpletree23, Sep 12, 2009.

1. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I've looked all over the forum but still can't answer my question. I want to use Ivermectin pour on to worm my chickens. I've already used Wazine. I know that there is a withdrawl time for eating the eggs if you give the medication orally but what about the pour on? Is there a period of time the eggs should not be eaten?

Ivermectin pour on sounds like a 'wonder drug' as it is supposed to kill internal worms as well as biting lice and mites. I keep the coop very clean and dust with DE and poultry dust but I'm afraid to go out one morning and see sick looking lethargic hens who are infested with some critter. We all know that chickens hide illness until it's too late.

Am I overdoing it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Ivermectin won't hurt you. My cousin, who is a MD, spent 6 months in Sierra Leone (a country in western Africa). He routinely used Ivomec on the people there. It is a wonder drug for the people of Africa. There are many parasites there that cause terrible problems. One of the worst is river blindness. It is caused by a worm that enters the skin while the person is bathing in a river. This worm lives in the person and lays millions of eggs. They hatch and swim in the bloodstream till they clog up the tiny capillaries in the eyes and elsewhere. This causes blindness. Ivomec kills the worms, and the people routinely take it to keep their sight. The manufacturer, Merc, donated millions of $ worth of the drug to the people of Africa.

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Thankyou jhm47. Wonderful information. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Learn sonthing new everyday. I guess I don't have to worry if I accidently get some of the Ivermectin on my skin. I'll be worm free.

Thanks again;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by