Ivermectin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wohneli, Feb 11, 2009.

1. wohneli

wohneli Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Gainesville
    Does anyone have any advice on this stuff? My poor girl has this scale on her legs and there are several posts that refer to it.
    In the next few weeks I was hoping to introduce new chickens to the coop (she is currently alone). Should I use this stuff and dust the coop also? The yard?
    Thanks in advance!

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    check for mites around the vent are if she has them there use the dust , if not then dont use dust, you can treat the leg mites with the ivermec or you can coat then in vaseline or use the old fashoned method by dippinfg the legs in kerosene, or sulpher ointment

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    soak the legs in warm water, remove as much crust as possible, coat/ drench with vegie oil, repeat every 4 days for 2-3 weeks.

Ivermectin works for lice/ mites/ worm, we use cattle pour on type, 3-4 drops back of the neck for larger chickens, 1-2 drops for bantams and younger chicks.

4. lesterlu

lesterlu Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    maine
    i have also read that a couple drops of tea tree oil mixed in vaseline, or VetRX rubbed on their legs for several days.

i havent needed it, yet. my silkies have rough legs that made me worry, but the vet said they're feather pins.

good luck, post back your results!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  5. clhbubba

clhbubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    Is kerosene not toxic to fowl?

6. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    some people have used these kinds of oils..(kerosene and such)

but I wouldn't..JMHO.

Bag Balm is a good option..

7. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    You use INJECTABLE ivermectin in the water (only water source) for 3 days & then 2 weeks later for 3 days again for scaley leg mite. 4cc/ml in a gallon.

8. wohneli

Oct 6, 2008
    Gainesville
    thanks all

9. Kimiko

Kimiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    riverside
    If you are mixing injectable ivermectin in water--make sure it is the water soluble. If it's in a propylene glycol carrier, it won't stay stable for very long in water.

Mineral oil works well for scaly mites. Sevin dust can be used for the coop.

If you're in the US, Ivermectin is not labelled for use in chickens FYI.

10. wohneli

Oct 6, 2008
    Gainesville
    Its labeled for cows, swine and sheep from what I see. I need it for one poor chicken and the smallest I can find is equal to about 50 doses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by