Ivomec dosage for chickens-topical or oral??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chooniecat, Sep 15, 2012.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    Am worming chickens with Wazine in water this week and will do Ivomec(Ivermectin 1%,cattle/swine injectable,think oil based because it got all over me and is greasy!!)as next treatment BUT can not find dosage or answers on how to give to chickens most effectively. Does anyone KNOW if this Ivomec can be effectively applied topical OR oral and whats the dosage(topical would be easiest as I have 37 birds to treat) PLEASE-need help!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have Eprinex (Ivomec) Pour-On and the dose I found was 1/2 ml. for standard (more for XL) and 1/4 ml. for bantams. That is to be put on skin between shoulder blades. Dawg53 always says that valbazen is the best thing for worms, though.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  3. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    Well-I ALWAYS complain about money and since I have a big bottle of Ivomec(I assume your Epinex is a brand name and maybe the same stuff I have??) INJ ECTON(what bottle says) and from what I have read(contradictory stuff!) it CAN be put on topical. I will just use the dosages u have suggested. Thanks!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm not sure I would use the same dose since you have injectable. Also, it may not be good to give injectable by mouth. Try to look it up on BYC before you give that medication. Mine was pour-on and they are very different.

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Pour-on Ivomec is around 5 drops per LF, behind the neck/head. Never used the injectable.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by