Ivomec Eprinex side effects?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by seminolewind, Sep 23, 2012.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Has anyone used Ivomec Eprinex and had a chicken die a few days later?

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I use it and have never had an issue with any of them...young or old. Odd.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've used it without any problems....no more than a 1/2cc on standards.

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Thanks to you both. That med was the only thing that was different a month ago, before 2 of my hens died a few days after the med and each died a few days apart. No warning. I don't think it's the Ivomec Eprinex. But I'd really like to know why.

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    It'd be nice sometimes if they could talk...

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

If they had very heavy parasite loads then I could see if they had a rapid die off of was that caused issues...but I know you worm your birds so that would be uncommon.....hummmmm

7. TNBlacktails

TNBlacktails Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2012
    Union County Tennessee
    Where would one get some dewormer and could you get medicine that made them not get worm ?

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Most feed stores or Tractor Supply company carry different wormer. Many wormer used on chickens are labeled for other animals....

9. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Welasharon, yes, I wish they could talk.

My birds were wormed with Safeguard 4 months ago. I guess I just can't let go of the fact that 2 birds dropped dead several days apart. Both laid right up till 1-2 days before they died. It worries me, I guess we all like to know why so we know how to protect the others.

10. Gonda

Gonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Has anyone ever found that Eprinex causes hens to stop laying, or to slow down? I treated my hens almost 2 weeks ago (for mite, and one young hen (about a year old), which had been laying quite regularly, stopped laying. She's not moulting and seems totally fine otherwise. All our hens have slowed down considerably in the last two weeks. I actually need to repeat the treatment now, but am reluctant to do so. The chickens all seem fine and never really had any noticeable effects from the mites/lice. I think we had both as I was getting them on me at night, and I saw very tiny moving specks and slightly larger brown critters. I cleaned the coop thoroughly, changed the shavings, am changing shavings regularly in nesting boxes, and am using DE for prevention. But now they're hardly laying, and I'm wondering why the one completely stopped.

I always thought Eprinex was very safe. I'm wondering also, as is seminolwind, how it might affect the birds. I used .5 mls pour on ivomec for the hens which are average sized birds.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by