1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ivomec Eprinex VS Agri-Mectin ( for mites,lice & worms)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by longtobe, Oct 29, 2011.

1. longtobe

longtobe New Egg

Jan 8, 2011
    I was at my co-op (feed store) the other day getting feed & asked about Ivomec.
    The guy there told me that they only carried it in the large bottle. I believe
    he told me 1-2 liters. Anyway I was telling him about me hearing it could be
    used on chickens,if used correctly. He said he'd never heard that,but he didn't
    doubt it wouldn't work. Anyhow he said they had a smaller (250ml) bottle of the
    "generic" Ivomec called Agri-Mectin. It cost about $20 for that bottle. I need
    to get something,cause I noticed that a few of my chickens has lice. I keep them
    seperated,somewhat. I checked several & nocticed some seem to have them & some
    didn't. So, I was hoping to get the jump on them by treating all my
    chickens,since they have never been wormed either. They range in age up to 2
    years old.I was just going to treat the adults,as I keep my small/young birds on
    the other side of my place. They don't seem to have any right now.

Has anyone had any experience with the "generic" Agri-Mectin?

He said it was the same thing,just a generic brand. It's made by AgriLabs out of
    St.Joseph,MO
    It also states it contains 5 mg ivermectin/ml

Any advice/help would be appreciated..

Thanks in advance.
    Joseph

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    They are chemically identical

3. longtobe

longtobe New Egg

Jan 8, 2011
    So the Agri-Mectin is completely as safe to use as the Ivormec Eprinex? The salesman at my local Co-op says they are identical. But then again he's a salesman..lol

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    For the mites you can sprinke DE on the and in there nesting boxes,as for worms, that is a touchy subject as I don't worm and use DE in their feed. I will stay out of the worm thing due to I get beat up over it.
    Michele

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    here is what the said about the product and I marked 1 section in red;

Ivermectin - Used for Worms, Lice and Mites in Chickens
    Written by Ben Rolfe
    Wednesday, 24 June 2009 19:02

Ivermectin is an anti-parasite medication, effective against most worms (not tapeworm), mites and some lice including scaly leg mite and northern fowl mite. Ivermectin pour-on / drops is applied to the skin.

Ivermectin Drops are usually sold under the Small Animal Exemption Scheme for use in rabbits, Guinea Pigs and ornamental birds. Products licensed under the Small Animal Exemption Scheme are not licensed for use in food producing animals such as chickens and it is for that reason that there is no information relating to the withdrawal period for eggs or meat following use of Ivermectin Drops on poultry.Where there is a licensed alternative, vets should be prescribing the licensed product. To treat worms - Flubenvet is the (only) lichened in feed product This must be enough od a warning to you and a RED FLAG "NO-NO"

In the absence of licensed alternatives, veterinarians do sometimes prescribe this product for poultry under their own clinical judgement to treat mites, lice and worms in poultry. However, it is only a veterinarian who can advise on such use and it would breach of the veterinary medicines regulations and NOAH code of practice by supporting, or encouraging the use of this product on a non-target species. It is for this reason that we are not recommending you use Ivermectin for this purpose unless it is prescribed by your Vet.

Now DE (diatomaceous earth) in the sand bath would be great ideal. I have been told it works great in the feed too to kill worms. I have others mention it does work on worms but that another story. I feed the girls diatomaceous earth in the treat I give daily and have had no presence of worm in my girls at all.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  7. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Its useless to you, please don't try to sway people in a one minded discussion again this evening. It's useless if you don't use it everyday and not properly. Most of us who use DE, use it as a preventive. So please don't tell everyone it is useless. Thank you.
    The Hugger

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Its useless to you, please don't try to sway people in a one minded discussion again this evening. It's useless if you don't use it everyday and not properly. Most of us who use DE, use it as a preventive. So please don't tell everyone it is useless. Thank you.
    The Hugger

I have no reason not to tell the truth. I used it many years ago duped into thinking it killed worms in chickens. By all means, use it and you'll learn from experience that it wont kill worms in chickens. Good luck.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The Hugger

mstricer,
    Can you post the studies that shows that Diatomaceous Earth works for controlling internal parasites?
    I believe that you will find that there are a lot more studies that show that Diatomaceous Earth doesn't work on internal parasites than you will find studies that shows that it does.

Chris

10. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    The Hugger

I have no reason not to tell the truth. I used it many years ago duped into thinking it killed worms in chickens. By all means, use it and you'll learn from experience that it wont kill worms in chickens. Good luck.

Nobody is accusing you of not telling your truth, what not have worked for you may work for many others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by