Ivomec question - Need Help !!! Please....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by arianna, Mar 21, 2011.

1. arianna

arianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    North Carolina
    I bought some Ivomec from TSC but I'm scared to give to my hen for possible gapeworm treatment. The box doesn't have anything about poultry, and from what I'm reading on BYC and Google I understand is quite dangerous for your chickens. I don't have any poultry vet in my area, and I want to know what treatment has your vet recommended for gape worm in poultry. When I Google for treatment it doesn't come back with any medication, and I'm sure that there is something that usually the vet will prescribe or recommend for gape worm.
    If you used Ivomec for your chickens,:
    "what was the dosage you used?"
    "Is it ok to give that while the hen is on antibiotics for possible respiratory infection?"

and the last question: "did you ever had a chicken that died as a result of Ivomec treatment?"

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Ivomec 1% injectable dosage is 1cc per quart of water/4cc per gallon of water. The mixture is the only water the bird gets for 3 days. For lice/mites, retreat in 14 days.
    Personally for gapeworm, I wouldve used Safeguard (fenbendazole) liquid goat wormer or Valbazen(albendazole) liquid cattle/sheep wormer.

3. arianna

arianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    North Carolina
    Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by