Ivy's Daughter, Fern,Grown Up, & Barred EE, Riley (New Pic, post 25)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Oct 16, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Fern is 20 weeks old, can you believe it?! She looks much like her mama, Ivy (who is still hanging on after her bout with internal laying/infection), but her barring is an improvement over her mom's (thanks, Dutch!). She's trouble personified, this girl. She now flies over the fence or on top of the coop, my only flier in the flock. Hopefully, her bottom will become too heavy to do that soon, as she comes into lay.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's Riley, the daughter of my blue Ameraucana, Charlotte, with my BR rooster, Dutch, so she and Fern are half sisters. Riley is 15 weeks old and soon to go into the main flock, though she does freerange with them on occasion. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. silkiechick236

silkiechick236 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Beautiful birds! [​IMG]

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

They are so pretty! You should be very proud! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Lovely girls. I love how broad Fern chest looks.

Riley's neck feathers are very fancy looking, she looks like she has a really fluffy bum also.

[​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Big pretty birds.

6. speckledhen

Both girls are pretty chunky, but so are their moms and Dutch. At least if I do lose Ivy eventually, I have her daughter.

7. cwhit590

cwhit590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    SW Michigan
    [​IMG]

Fern's barring is so crisp! Love Riley. [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

Thanks, all. Fern's barring is much better than her mom's, but nothing special, other than her being special because she is Ivy's daughter.
    Her flying almost got her in trouble today. I let the flock range, then put them up and let my Blue Orpington quad out to roam awhile. As most know, Suede is HUMONGOUS, about 14 lb or so. I go out to later put Suede back in his pen and booking it up to the house was Fern, running among the Orps. That girl is fearless! Good thing Suede wasn't paying much attention or she would be running for her life from an amorous blue TANK. [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

Fern flew out three times today! She's going to get herself killed if she keeps it up. She flies on top of the tall gate, then out of the pen. [​IMG] I really don't want to clip her wings because she may need them to get away from predators while on range with the flock.

10. AilsVonHelson

AilsVonHelson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    Orlando, FL.
    Fern does seem like trouble personified!

Riley is simply gorgeous, I saw her in another thread, and i'm in LOVE with her. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by