IYHO best breed of dog to guard chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CrazyFowlFreak, May 4, 2009.

1. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Anyone have any input on this? We'd like to add a pup to the family once we move to our farm to guard the chickens. Right now we have two Standard Poodle puppies, a feist mix, and an American Hairless terrier.
    Thanks!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    IMHO the best dog to protect your flock is any dog that understands that the chickens are part of the family and are to be protected as such and not eaten.
    My irish wolfhound is very protective of the chickens, as she is the cat and the other dog and all her people.
    I wouldn't trust our border collie alone with the chickens for even a second.

3. geegee

geegee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    we have a new foundland and she is great!Some people in my area have a great pyrnese,I hear they are good too.

4. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have heard much good about Great Pyrenees as flock guardians.

5. UrbanPolish

UrbanPolish Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    We have a Spitz (sp?) that absolutely loves chickens. When our roosters try to fight through the wire sometimes, she gets really upset and barks to try and break them up. It's actually pretty cool.

Even though she's small she actually helps alert us/ run the pigs back toward their pen when they get out as well [​IMG]

I don't know what we'd do without her lol.

6. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My big boy is a rescue from the humane society
    He is a Great Pyr x St. Bernard and the best!
    He has been great around the animals since day 1, like he knew it was his job to protect them and is more than happy to have that job. He is my baby!

7. chicklips

chicklips Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Johns, MI
    I have a sheltie cattle dog mix and she likes to protect the flock. When they were in the brooder she would lookin at them and you could almost see her counting them. Now that they are in the coop she lies there all day long protecting them. When the other dogs get close she gets angry!

8. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    Great Pyrenees are the best choice hands down for guarding poultry. We use six of them.

Sophie the resident couch potato.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by