Jack Russel just got my roo... Help on treatment....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FlaRocky, Oct 16, 2011.

1. FlaRocky

FlaRocky Chillin' With My Peeps

Have put roo in crate in bedroom, cleaned and washed area off. Sprayed Vetericyn on butt. Gave water and food. What else do I need to do?

Dog leaves tomorrow one way or the other!!!

Thank you for your help,

Maye

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    What you have done so far sounds good. Now you watch how your roo does. make sure he is eating and drinking; monitor his behavior; and check the wound for any sign of infection. Puncture wounds can be hard to clean, so infection is still possible, but keep applying the Vetericyn regularly. Chickens can heal from some pretty bad wounds.

If he shows any signs of shock (pale, laying on his side) make sure to keep him warm.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  3. FlaRocky

FlaRocky Chillin' With My Peeps

OK, Thanks hoped I was on the right track.. so now I guess it is a watch and see thing.

Good thing I was not home when it happend, I would of shot my own dog. But he leaves tomorrow no ifs and or buts.
    Was not allowed growing up and will not be allowed now.

Maye

4. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    In the dog's defense, attacking a small bird is pretty much a natural instinct for them, especially a terrier. They really cant help it. Its not the dog's fault if he had access to the chickens.

5. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Yeah...I know you're angry with the dog... but it IS their instinct. Especially terriers. Think it through when you're not so upset. <hugs>

6. cwlongshot

cwlongshot Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2011
    Connecticut
    We have a Jack Russell mix as well...

He is a.. well not the best mannered. But its not his fault. He was abused and not properly animal socialized. He is great with children and people in general. But awful with other animals. We have had him just over two years and he is almost 7 years. The day we got him, the little dummy lit into my 140# Rott. Our Rott was well socialized and he kinda looked funny at the little 12# "necklace" he was now wearing and rubbed it off. That Lil bugger did that four times... Each time my Rott edged up the repercussions. My Rott and I taught my Jack more "manors" that first week than in his entire life I think. As the owner of a Jack, you need to be on top of him. This breed needs to be very much under your thumb. He is not the best breed for someone not willing to do/be that. So much so last October when we got this 1 yr old Lhasa Apso he did not make a peep! He accepted her, with a couple growls and sniffs. He lightly lit into her when she came home from the groomers. But almost instantly realized he knew who she was a stopped instantly. But it was not an overly aggressive occurrence.

We recently made the leap and now have chickens. I was concerned about the Jack, but not our Lhasa Apso. The first day we scolded the Jack three times. He gets excited when they stretch and flap their wings, but has remained in control. Our Lhasa is perfect.. we call her the Chicken Watch dog... cause she sits and watches them!

As mentioned, its not his or not entirely his fault. Remember he is a ratter, bred to hunt. Anything that runs gets chased, its like a game a game that can turn deadly.

Have you thought of a muzzle when the dog in in the yard with the birds?

Good luck and I hope you keep your dog.

CW

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  7. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    We have two scottish terriers (one 7 year old and one 9 month old). The 7 year old pretty much herds the chickens when he's out in the yard and has never once gone after them. The 9 month tried a couple times when she first arrived but was disabused of the notion by the 7 year old and our then rooster. Now she just leaves them alone.

Either one sees a chipmunk/squirrel though and they just bolt at them.

8. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    If you like your dog I wouldn't rehome him. I have jack russells too. I breed and show them. Mine attacked a rooster a month ago. It was the most terrible attack ever. One had the neck and the other the butt and they played tugawar for like 3 solid minutes. But after a week of antibiotics he magically survived!!!

I just have to keep the birds and dogs separate.

9. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    I would sleep on it for tonight. The other posters are right, a Jack comes from Terrier bloodline as well does a Schnauzer and many others. They were breed many years ago hunt rodents and other things. They are very territorial and if you weren't home you really don't know what happened. Maybe the Roo started it...just my thinking. Anyway I hope your guys does well and wish the best with your decisions.

10. CherylR

CherylR Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Western NY
    My hen survived a raccoon attack that i really wasn't sure she'd live through. She had some pretty awful injuries including a very nasty head injury (I think the raccoon got her by the head and shook her). I cleaned and dressed her wounds-basic nursing care- kept her quiet, and hoped for the best. It was just a judgement call as to whether to euthanize her or give her a chance. I decided to give her a chance since I'm such a push-over and luckily she pulled through. The right side of her face and head was totally messed up and she had several wounds all over her body and patches of missing feathers....it was awfull. I fed her Hills a/d (a highly nutritional canned food designed for convalencing dogs/cats) and water, both with a syringe since her beak was cracked, and kept her wounds clean and dressed with plain triple antibiotic ointment and luckily she pulled through. I almost euthanized her though, (or had my hubby do it, to be honest) and would have if she hadn't shown signs of improvement after a few days. It's hard to know what's the most humane thing to do in these circumstances. Anyway, I hope you have a positive experience...there's nothing like knowing you helped preserve a life. That said, I think it's important to keep a balance between being helpful and knowing when to say enough and fulfilling our responsibility as caretaker of our pets/livestock. I know this isn't much in the way of advice as to what else to do as everyone else has given some great advice, but I'm hoping I've at least given you some hope and encouragement!! Best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by