Jack Russell + 3 week old Amercanus = miraculous recovery!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by drb2003, Apr 30, 2009.

1. drb2003

drb2003 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Just wanted to share what I consider a unbelievable recovery of my 3 week old Ameraucanas (Large Marge) after a run in with my Jack Russell Terrier (Bailey).

A little background...I'm new to chickens, I have 5, three week old baby girls...2 Ameraucanas, 1 RIR, 1 Jersey Black Giant, 1 BPR. They are staying in my garage in a rabbit hutch type of deal. I live in the city and am turning part of my shed into a hen house and the dog run into a chicken run.

Yesterday morning I went out to the garage to change the chicks water and get them more feed as I do every AM. I had the front door of the cage open and the more social girls were standing just outside the cage on a chair I sit in and watch them. I didn't realize that my dog, Bailey, was already awake and when I went back into the house to get fresh water (hands full) she darted out in the garage and grabbed Large Marge. Before I could get there Bailey had shaken her like a rag doll. I just knew the results were tragic...I immediately started crying uncontrollably while holding the lifeless chick. My partner, after hearing all the commotion, ran to the garage and grabbed Marge to check her out and said, "She's still breathing!" I got ahold of myself, and we looked closely at her....she was bruised pretty bad under her right wing but not bleeding (externally anyway). She still looked pretty bad but was picking her head up some...she couldn't stand but it was obvious her neck wasn't broken. I still had thoughts of needing to put an end to her suffering as she still did not look like she was going to make it. I work with a lady that keeps chickens on her farm so I decided the best thing to do was to take her to work and see if she thought Marge had a chance or not.

All day at work yesterday, I kept her warm, and fed her honey water with a syringe a drop at a time. I kept it dark in my office and she seemed to sleep all day...as the hours ticked by, I was becoming somewhat hopeful! She ate some organic yogurt last night and was moving around a little bit. I got up several times during the night to give her some honey water and this morning, she's almost back to normal! I've got her at work with me again just to be safe, but she's walking around the "cage", eating and drinking on her own. It's still a little swollen and purple under her wing, but she doesn't seem to mind and seems to be on the road to a full recovery.

Who knew how tough these little guys can be...I'm just amazed every time I think about it! She is one of the chunkier ones (thus the name Large Marge), and that may have helped her survival.

I know she's "just a $2.40 chick" but she means WAY more to me than that, and I'm just ecstatic that she was seemingly on death's door, and bounced back like you wouldn't believe.

Brooke
    Austin, TX

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am glad she is recovering. We understand...it does not matter what they cost be it free, 2.00 or 20.00 they are all just as important.

You learned a valuable lesson and can move forward from here. Keep the dog and the chickens separated

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    We have a JR terror too who also loves to escape and shake the "stuffing" out of everything. She got to one of my large birds only once (bird just lost a few mouthfulls of feathers), mom mode kicked in and I spanked the living tar out of that dog - I know it was just instinct but adrinaline is hard to fight. Sooo now when the little terror escapes she makes beeline for the chickens, tip toes through the flock looking guilty as h-ll and doesn't touch a one. My dumb birds don't even look up to see the killer in their midst.

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I used to work for a rural vet, we had a gal bring in a JR that got into the neighbors coop, but he didn't kill anyone. The huge Barred Rock rooster nearly killed the JR before the chickens owner made it out to save him. The dog needed a lot of stitches and 3 days hospitalization. The amazing thing is the JR had the guts to turn around and sue the chickens owner for damages. She didn't win.

About a year later the same dog got out again and killed or maimed 4 lambs. the owner gave him away.

5. drb2003

drb2003 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Yeah, I knew not to let her near my chicks, it was a total slip out the door when my hands were full thing! I don't know if they will be big enough to intimidate her when they are grown, but they are just prey to her now at three weeks. I plan to keep them separated by a fence forever, although they will have to share the same yard during the day! I can't have a rooster in town so maybe one hen will put her in her place at some point!

Brooke

***Edit...the same yard with a fence between them during the day, just to be clear!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by