Jack Russell terrier got my hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LestersFlat, Apr 15, 2012.

1. LestersFlat

LestersFlat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Schuyler Lake NY
    There is a very adorable JRT across the road from us, who has come across this highway (55 mph) to visit my dogs before, but just today, he decided to attack one of my hens. He got into the coop while she was on the nest box (as near as I can tell) and dragged her about 50 feet away. There are several spots where she must have been doing her best to defend herself, feathers everywhere, but she ended up on the ground, on her back, with a definitely broken wing and bloody spots all over. And this, only after my husband chased the dog back home.

My initial response was to kill her, put her out of her misery, but after I turned her over to inspect the damage, she got up and started walking around.

So for now she is in Chicken Hospital, but I really don't know what to do for her, other than to give her time to see if she survives. The neighbor who owns the dog gave me some penicillin and a syringe, and told me to bathe the bloody spots in the watered down penicillin. Other than that, I am keeping her in a crate in the garage, with food and water and a red heat lamp. I have no idea if she has any internal injuries, but am suspecting that she does.

My question is, if she is still alive in the morning, do you think she will recover? Is it more humane to just kill her (which I don't know how to do!)?

2. dollychick

dollychick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    Birmingham, Alabama
    sounds like that dog needs some training, to leave the livestok alone.
    I would wait and she how she acts in the morning.
    she maybe a fighter .
    how did the dog far?
    did it get any thing done to it?

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Clean her wounds with whatever antiseptic you have on hand. For the moment, immobilize her wing to her side using vetwrap (not tooo tight) clear around her body several times. If her wounds are under her wing, then put some gauze with neosporin on it between her wing and body. Personally, I've not dealt with this particular injury before, but I've read this recommendation on here. Maybe someone will give you more/better advice. But it's what I would do.

4. JiJis hens

JiJis hens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2012
    No help here, just hoping for a speedy recovery.

5. LestersFlat

LestersFlat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Schuyler Lake NY
    Thanks, folks.

I didn't see the dog, but I don't think it was hurt in the least.

As for the vet wrap, is that the same stuff they wrap your arm with after you give blood? The stuff that sticks to itself? Can you get that in a regular drug store?

And this may be a stupid question, but can I wrap only the broken wing by going around the body and under the other one?

This is the hen I have always called Red Meanie. She is not going to be happy with me poking and prodding! But at least she is alert this morning, and stood up when I came in to check on her. That's a good sign...but I still haven't totally assessed the damage...

6. dollychick

Mar 28, 2012
    Birmingham, Alabama
    yes thats the same sticky wrap, I think you can get it at wal mart..
    good luck I hope she gets better.!

7. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I'm guessing you've already taken care of this - but if not, yes, you can wrap it as you described! and Yes.. the wrap is the same stuff.

8. dollychick

Mar 28, 2012
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Oh and I would atleast talk to the owners of the dog, let them know what happened, just incase they dont know.
    Now dont get me wrong, I am an animal lover. But the next time the pup came across the road, I would spray him good with the water hose,
    That would give him something to think about!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by