Jack white silkie is ill

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jag1876, Jun 16, 2016.

1. jag1876

jag1876 Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    Scotland
    Hi, I'm looking for some advice, my white silkie age 2 yrs is lethargic, head drooped, watery poo and off her food.
    I have dusted her with red mite powder, added cider vinegar to her water, tried to feed her some vermxx pellets and fully cleaned/sprayed her coop.
    She is worse today, very worried.
    thank you,
    vicky

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you seen evidence of mites on her? Offer her some water with a pinch of salt and a teaspoonful of sugar per liter, or some poultry electrolytes. Give her some chopped bits of egg, and add some water and yogurt to her feed to liquify it. Most chickens go for those.
    Does she lay eggs regularly? Intestinal infections such as coccidiosis , as well as egg yolk peritonitis infection can cause those symptoms. Unfortunately with chickens, unless they are seen by a vet, we have to rule out several things. Has she lost weight through her breast bone area, or does she have any swelling of her lower belly? Does her crop empty overnight, or is it hard or puffy?

3. jag1876

jag1876 Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    Scotland
    Thank you for your quick reply, I have managed to catch her which is also not like her unless she is laying!
    She has spells of laying between being broody.
    She hasn't laid for a couple of weeks but that's normal for her after a spell of being broody.
    She hasn't shown any signs prior to this that she was going to lay. She makes it quite obvious!
    I can't see mites on her. She has slightly scaley legs.
    Her lower abdomen is firm but I'm not sure what he's normal is as I've never had a good feel before.
    Her vent looks clean although feather are stained.
    She looks depressed, lethargic and weak.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Worming her could help, but if you can get some of her droppings checked for coccidiosis and worms, that may put you on the right track. Flubenvet is very good, and levamisole is also commonly used in the UK. Coccidiosis is treated with amprollium or coxoid. Sulfa antibiotics can also be used. Those may not be available without consulting a vet.

5. jag1876

jag1876 Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    Scotland
    Thank you
    Can the droppings be inspected under a magnifying glass or does it require a lab test?
    She seemed a bit unsteady on her feet before she went to bed. I managed to give her 2 drops of vitamins, 2 drops of vit e and a very small amount of yoghurt before she went to bed.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Coccidia or worm eggs cannot be seen without a microscope. Some worms such as large roundworms and capiillary worms can be seen, while others may be hard to see without a microscope. They don't always shed worms even if they have an infestation. Most people who are going to worm, will do so about twice a year in spring and fall, and more often in tropical climates.

1 person likes this.
  7. cheep82

cheep82 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2016
    Australia
    For eggs especially coccidia definitely a microscope needed. Coccidia you usually see under 10x on the scope. Its very easy for a vet to look at if infestation is large enough. Maybe they could do a zinc float for accuracy.

8. jag1876

jag1876 Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    Scotland
    hi, thanks for your reply.
    I have had jack at the vet (thurs).
    The vet said he thought nature would take its course and she most likly wont make it but gave her synulox in the hope she might just get through. His diagnosis was unknown bacterial infection of digestive system
    She is still alive now, (Monday) doesn't seem to be suffering but she cant walk without falling over
    otherwise she is brighter.
    Any suggestions very greatfully recieved

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is similar to clavamox, I believe. it will help treat enteritis, an infection of the intestines, in some cases. Try giving her soft chopped egg, tuna, and add water and plain yogurt (for probiotics) to her feed--anything to get her to drink and eat. Let us know how she gets along.

10. jag1876

jag1876 Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    Scotland
    Hi, thank you all again for your help.
    Jack has now been in the house with me since Thursday, she seemed to be doing well but yesterday afternoon she took a turn for the worse.
    She is going to see Henry the vet this afternoon (what a lovely man, for anyone in who lives in Scotland I highly recommended him).
    Unfortunately I fear the worst.
    Again, thank you for your advice,
    Vicky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by