Jackie's Great Adventure, 1st time hatching eggs Ongoing post here!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Maryallison77, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    So I hope some members here at BYC will share this with me. I have had a few other posts about my chicken Jackie and when she went broody.

So My Japanesse Bantam Jackie went broody about 2 months ago. Recently I bought her some eggs off a very nice woman on E-bay. I have never done this before! Few weeks ago I didn't know I could give Jackie eggs--haha [​IMG]

So this is our cute little chicken adventure! Let's see if Jackie can hatch out the eggs!

Here is Jackie in the nestbox before she had the eggs:

[​IMG]

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Awww, so cute !!! I hope she can [​IMG] [​IMG]

She looks like she would be a good mama hen !!

Keep us updated !!

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Has she been broody for these past 2 months? If so, that's some dedication! I'm surprised she didn't go purchase her own eggs from Ebay before now. It's always so impressive how these hens can just set for so long, so calm & quiet, without TV or magazines or knitting or cigarettes, simply self-contained in The Broody Zone. Although actually, they're in a state of quiet alertness -- just try to disturb them & you'll get a face-full of defensive Mama hen!

Do let us know how she progresses. It's always fun to watch a Mama hen with baby chickies. I have several mixed-breed bantam hens that keep going broody. For a while I would discourage them by putting them in a separate wire-bottomed cage. Then I decided I should be letting these bantams hatch out eggs from my standard-breed layers. There's sure to be folks willing to buy the pullets, & the cockerels are good enough for the table.

Right now I have 3 hens with chicks and 3 more setting on eggs. I think one is due to hatch on Thanksgiving, the others due a few days before & after. There are also 2 other bantams laying in a hidden spot behind the duck house. I have marked 4 of the eggs there, and keep taking the 2 newest eggs out each day. I wonder which one will eventually set in that spot, or if they'll set together, or right next to each other.
    Congratulations on your eggs, Jackie, have a great set & 100% hatch! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Maryallison77

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Here we are at day 5! Eggs seem nice and warm everytime I scope them out! The only time I get to look at them is when I feed the chickens and she comes down to eat for like a minute! She does not stay gone long--haha! [​IMG] So all is seeming good I guess. Oh I forgot to mention that she is sitting on 7 Americanna eggs. And she seems to cover them just fine! Iwa nta to candle them last night, but it was kinda cool outside and I was ready to get back to the house. [​IMG]

5. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    She's right cute on her nest!!! Hope the eggs hatch for you and Jackie!!!

6. Maryallison77

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Yes Sunny she has been broody for like 2 months. I read about people using the wire bottom cages to break them of it and almost did that. Then I thought to myself how fun this could be!

Here are some more pics of our little adventure here!

Here are the eggs soon as I opened them from E-bay:

[​IMG]

I numbered the eggs and put them in the nestbox, I put the large sides up, but Jackie moved them soon after

[​IMG]

7. Maryallison77

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    A few more pics of my mom to be (fingers crossed!) This is her sitting on the eggs.....looking determinded!

[​IMG]

And this is a picture of Lacy sitting on Jackie. For some reason the nestbox jackie picked is a favorite amung the chickens! For some reason they just sit on Jackie and lay eggs--hehe! It is funny to see!

[​IMG]

8. Maryallison77

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    I used a flashlight behind the eggs on 11-11-08 and this were my results....remember I have never done this before and this was my kids flashlight I used--haha [​IMG]

Jackie has 7 eggs and here is what I think I saw

egg 1 looks solid

egg 2 looks like there is something in it

egg 3 looks like something is in it

egg 4 looks good like something is there

egg 5 is solid looking

egg 6 solid

egg 7 is really hollow looking

Now I have no clue what this means, but by keeping track I might know next time.

9. dancingchicken77

dancingchicken77 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2008
    Australia
    what a sweet, mothery little hen jackie is [​IMG]

10. Maryallison77

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    THANKS!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by